• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Opinions in best stance utilised in combat

An interesting subject to be discussed here .

I would like to know your opinions about which stance from any chinese combat system/style you prefer when fighting either training or in the street .

My opinion is a blend of the traditional snake - tiger styles .

quick - accurate hands with "spear palms" ,and the traditional tiger footwork ,emphasizing on side movement .

----------------

CARPE DIEM

----------------

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always chuckle at this question.

My question to you is this.

what if you are fighting in a closed quarters situation?

or in 2 inches of water....

or in a grass field?

or on concrete stairs?

or on a hillside?

or in a dark alley with slippery surfaces and broken glass on the ground?

or on a bus next to a seated 92 year old woman?

I have never been a fan of whats the best stance, rather whats the best stance for the situation...

I agree .

Nevertheless ,the basic core of your fighting must depend on a standard formula ,otherwise ,I don't thing you can expert a lot in street fighting

----------------

CARPE DIEM

----------------

....training for strength for when you move....

stances move, they flow, they change from one to another.

there isn't a stance from which you fight.

now structure is a different matter.

if you're talking about structure then we are talking about things like hip placement/movement, angles of hands/elbows/wrists/knees, spine/line of your back, how high you have you centre, where you draw your lines etc etc.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Drunken Monkey :

I believe that what you explained as structure is likely to be the same thing I was mentioning .

When I mean fighting stance ,I refer to the things you mentioned ,how high your centre is ,side movements or direct in-out ,wether you fight close range fingers - elbows or tae kwon do - style kicks etc .

Sorry for using the wrong words ,thnaks or helping me clearing out the topic :D

----------------

CARPE DIEM

----------------

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, in my experiance the By-jong or ready postion from Jeet Kune Do seems to be the most scientific, most realistic, most useful stance that i have encountered thus far. :up:

"True mastery transcends any particular art. It stems from mastery of oneself-the ability, developed through self-discipline, to be calm, fully aware, and completely in tune with oneself and the surroundings. Then, and only then, can a person know himself."

Agreed. You also have to be skilled in manipulating the ready stance aswell, otherwise different situations will catch you off guard.

In my opinion, if you're skilled and can manipulate and adapt to a given situation, the stances will follow without thinking.

I've been in a few fights outside of the dojo or a ring, and it seems I always "start out" in a ready stance position in the situations I've been in. That doesn't necessarily mean the ready stance will be the best for any given situation, but more often than not it is.

Close Quarters Combat Tactics - Hope to see you there!

• 2 weeks later...