• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Music during class?

At my karate dojo if we have a specific cardio or weights night we have music. We either just put a local radio station on (not a talk station ;)) or take it in turns to bring in preferred CDs.

On the Thursday self-defense sessions that we have we sometimes have music on for the warm-ups.

We always have music on in Wing Chun - but that's the music that filters through the wall from the pub next door. Thin walls!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see a problem to people playing music at their school if that is what the people are into...personally I prefer a more traditional setting and I just feel the music would make me feel like I am at the local gym getting taught by an aerobic instructor rather than martial arts...Again this is only my opinion and I am not knocking anyone else to each there own you know. :D

What the superior man seeks is in himself; what the small man seeks is in others. - Confucius

Our clas do not have music but I would like to try it. From them comments made it would appear that it is a split decision.

Warm up and cardio are good but during general lesson input I would say it is a nono.

I have been to other schools who use music to great effect.

we tend to use old 80s pop or techno stuff. we have our swat team make mix cds that have good solid beats. for a (very short) period of time we used disco. im gonna bring in some russian techno soon. =)

Dee C.

Normal ( 'nor-m&l)-

an adj. used by humans to stereotype

Never really had music playing in the dojo, since this can be distracting. However, in one of the dojos in which I trained, we would have one class each month dedicated to physical conditioning, where pushups, situps, running, light and heavy bag work, etc., were all being performed for the entire class.

For that one day a month, there would be music to help people along, especially those who found it something to distract their minds from how tired they would get.

It depends on what and when. Meditation, kung fu kata-yes basics, sparring- dont think so

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

During the warm-up music (mostly) isn't for bad. During the "real thing" however I tend to hate it. I have a problem with my left ear, and I sometimes miss the point if "sports techno" CD is still playing.

But again, I find warm-ups "easier" with music playing.

Fast-paced music is played during our Krav warm-ups. I think it's a good idea. I am actually putting together a CD with one continuous 80-minute track of fast-paced music (multiple tracks morphed together). I love it. It is a distraction from the pain.

The thing with playing Metallica (or whatever) is that some one in the room probably hates that music and it gives them a headache. The only type of music that wouldn't directly give them a headache would be so bland that it wouldn't be worth having on. If you want music go and do an aerobics class at the gym, as well as going to a MA class as well.

"I think therefore I am" Rene Descartes

There's nothing wrong with playing music in a school as long as they don't try to pass their school off as a traditional or classical oriental school. There are some other systems that do use specific types of music.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."