• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Who cares about beards."

As a Sikh Canadian, I do, for one. I would prefer death to shaving my beard or getting a haircut. One of the reasons that I have replied to this quote is that this is a serious debat so mindless and possibly insulting (I am not really insulted, actually - your a lucky man, my friend - but someone else might be) outbursts are not needed. The other reason is that these Taliban just might keep their beards close to their hearts. Do not forget that these people are extremists. They take their beliefs to their furthest possible extents. I think someone said this already, but Muhamed had a beard and these people probably saw that and thought it a necessity of Islam. Did someone not mention that they enforced unshaven facial hair in Afghanistan before the US rolled in?

If there was no such thing as universal rights to all human beings, I wouldnt really care if the Taliban soldiers were treated like dogs (dont care much as is anyways..) but there is, and thank God for it. If the Taliban actually believe that their beards are sacred, then the Americans have no right to forcefully shave them off (is lice really THAT big a problem? I dont know much about it, for I am a clllllleeeaaan Paki) and if they dont, well..why are we discussing this then?

Feel the 'Putt Jattan De' power!!

*Truth is highest, but Truthful living is higher still*

[ This Message was edited by: Zaknafein on 2002-02-01 18:19 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Zaknafein on 2002-02-01 18:39 ]

Excuse me, but ZR440 is not a "lucky man" in anyway. He stated his opinion, not in a rude way and he is entitled to in this private community. If you were to act innapropriately in response to his post, you might not be welcome here any longer. I just wanted to point that out. You are also aloud to speak your opinion in a decent way as you did, but none of you are "lucky." :smile:

The Taliban are not being "treated like Dogs," I think they are being treated pretty fairly. I mean, imagine you treating them as we supposedly are: giving them food, time to pray, and whatever else they are getting... and having some of them (all of them?) say that they plan to kill an American again one day. Its pretty tough stuff.

I am suprised that you would die for facial hair.

And on a completely unrelated notion... Is it just me or do we seem to get no compassion from almost anyone in Pakistan and Afghanistan? I mean, I watch TV and it seems like people in those countries don't even care/appreciate what we did? Or really even care about the WTC attacks. Maybe I am getting the wrong perspective, lots of lies on TV.

Patrick, you basically misinterpretted my whole post.

Whats all this about a 'lucky man'? I was stating that as a joke, not as a threat of any sort. And if he (ZR440) is entitled to his opinion, then so am I, even if it is about the way he posted.

I dont know if the Taliban are or are not being treated badly (got tired of hearing about it after a while). You misread again, my friend. What I said was that I WOULDNT care if those people were treated badly IF they had no rights. That was a statement that really has no relation to the facts; it was put in to convey my personal feelings about those people.

"I am suprised that you would die for facial hair. "

I found this statement very offensive. Its obviously not the facial hair (and all the other hair on my body) that I feel this way for, its the meaning they represent in my religion. And would you not die for your country? Your friends and loved ones? Judging from the character present in some of your posts, you probably would. Now, is religion any less a passion than what I just stated? Not in my book, so its not really much of a surprising stance I take on my hair.

-Zak

Lucky man is not an opinion, in that terms... it sounds like "you are a lucky man that I don't take offense." If you are joking, you should either add a smilie or say (joke) next to it because on the net it is tough to convey your actual emotions, so you will be taken as serious.

Well, body hair, not just facial hair isn't comparable to loved ones in my opinion.

Would I die for loved ones... yes.

Would I die for friends... some, maybe, although I don't think so.

Would I die for my country... if I had to.

I do agree with you Patrick, but as i've said before the Taliban are very different to most people.

I think they are probably a very good example of religous extremists; having said that they are the sort of people that place each and everyone of there religous beliefs above the value of there own life. It's a choice that they have made - free will!

When people have that 'free will' taken away from them in a country which is infamous for the freedom individuals have, is a bit suprising.

Now Im not saying if the shaving them was right or wrong; but I do think that alot of the people under the taliban were perhaps victims of misinformation/lack of education and desperation.

As for the lack of compassion for Americans, I can't say for afghanistan as I've not been there. But I can tell you that it's true. For alot of the middle east; and as my serbian friend tells me - eastern europe.

Shotokan Karate Black Belt

==Defend the path of Truth==

let's talk human rights........

score:

taliban.......nil to none

u.s......... most or all

i'm not a math major, so you do the math!

they never been treated better in their life........... :sleep: :???:

rushman (karate forums sensei)

3rd dan wtf/kukkiwon

"saying nothing...sometimes says the most"--e. dickerson

This is a lot deeper than it looked on the surface. There is an incredible amount of passion it seems.

Zak I am trying to understand your view. It has made me think. I think many of us have things that are of immense value to us that others cannot understand.

I think one of the biggest fights over hair I ever heard was in the early 70's. Kid across the street was refusing to go get his hair cut. It was a loud one. I do remember at the time how much his hair ment to him. And in a way that helps me now begin to understand the other point of view. I had totally forgotten about that until I read that post and started to think.

Still I would not want to have to get in a plane after a group of people with lice had been in it.

i was in the miliary during the 70's and we all had long hair and beards then..........when we went to the barber during basic training they ask us how did we want our haircut....most of us said take a little off around the edge and we walked out bald as a new born(smile).......but within month my hair was even longer.......for you youngsters, hair used to be the in thing and if you notice it's making a comeback.....

from rushman's memoirs.......... :wink:

rushman (karate forums sensei)

3rd dan wtf/kukkiwon

"saying nothing...sometimes says the most"--e. dickerson