• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Treatment of Taliban prisoners - shaving them because they h

SaiFightsMS

Here's another way of looking at it...

As Dick Cheney said, "Some of these people have threatened to kill Americans at the first chance they get"....

So isn't it a bit dangerous to get near them with a razor??

Shotokan Karate Black Belt

==Defend the path of Truth==

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a search on beards and Islam. It seems the Quran has nothing to say about the subject of beards.

The beard thing developed later as a way to distinguish themselves from the "pagans". However, the article neglected to mention the period in history this was developed in as well as which pagans they were referring to.

There does seem to be debate among members of Islam about the beard issue. It is not a cut and dried thing.

I still want to know which pagans they were referring too though.

On 2002-01-20 11:21, SaiFightsMS wrote:

I did a search on beards and Islam. It seems the Quran has nothing to say about the subject of beards.

The beard thing developed later as a way to distinguish themselves from the "pagans". However, the article neglected to mention the period in history this was developed in as well as which pagans they were referring to.

There does seem to be debate among members of Islam about the beard issue. It is not a cut and dried thing.

I still want to know which pagans they were referring too though.

I could find nothing "in the Quaran either, but I'm starting to think of it like this...

Now, the beards were enforced by the Taliban, I did find that, and somehow this is making me think of when the Chinese moved over to the U.S. Remember how they had to grow those long ponytails back in China, and then they moved here, and they didn't cut them off 1.) because they might go back and get in trouble, 2.) because it was routine 3.) because it had been drilled into their head that it was right 4.) hey! they liked it!

Now, the Taliban says that their inbterpretations of the Quaran would permit a law MAKING men grow beards. A lot of other countries agree with this, althoughit isn't enforced. Saudis and Pakistanis have beards, too, and maybe the Afghans think it's a religious thing, even if on the surface it doesn't seem that Islam would warrant HAVING to grow a beard.

I don't know...it's all very confusing to me... :weirdlook:

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

I guess you have to realise that within Islam as many other religions there are numerous sects and various interpretations.

However, in light of this discussion I spoke to a few of my muslim friends about having beards and so on.

They said, that Muslims dont have to keep one; BUT it is a 'Soonat'. This means that the Prophet Muhammed (outta respect - may his soul rest in peace) kept a beard, and so Muslims are encouraged to have beards as well, so as to keep to the Prophets way of life and teachings.

Hope this helps - Jig

[ This Message was edited by: Jiggy9 on 2002-01-21 06:32 ]

Shotokan Karate Black Belt

==Defend the path of Truth==

Those prisoners should thank Allah that they weren't shot in the land where they overthrew the government years ago. Who cares about beards. They are PRISONERS!

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.

From what I have seen, they have been treated better than anything I would have expected.