• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Belt Testing Fees

At our place testing for all coloured belts - including the black belt - costs about $15.

The ones who pass the black belt receive a shureido embroided belt for free. Others receive only a certificate.

The club has to pay for the hall where the exams take place. The grading takes a whole day.

IMHO, if one becomes shodan in a dojo, then he has certainly reaped many of the benefits that came with training, and in a sense, is giving back to the dojo.

What about the monthly fee you've been paying?

You pay to receive knowledge... What you make of it is your hard work.

It would make more sense to give back to the dojo in some other way, not moneywise.

It's not really about the money at that point, since you've already invested many, many hours of your own life into training this hard, and are doing it for your own good.

Exactly. It shouldn't be about money.

But $150 makes it about money.

At least that's what I think.

Unless of course the monthly fee is ridiculusly low.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"It shouldn't be about the money"

If only I could tell that to the landlord, the electric company, phone company, my mortgage company, my kids who want to eat now and go to college when they grow up....

Before I became a full time instructor, I paid my instructor what he charged for belt test fees ($45) and monthly fees because he was very good and it was worthwhile to me to have a full time instructor available to me. Being able to train with him and learn 3, 4, or 5 days per week sometimes twice a day made me a better martial artist and instructor. It didn't matter to me that part of his income was a belt test fee instead of higher monthly fees.

Now my students pay me the the fees that I charge, and I hope they feel they are getting a good value. If they don't, I suspect that they will stop paying them. Certainly if someone is in a dire financial situation, I will work with them so that they can continue their training.

Bottom line, look at the total cost of the program including belt test fees and the training you receive in return. If you don't think it is a good value, don't start that program. If you want a professional martial arts instructor, don't just go for the cheapest, unless that's what you are looking for.

iuolkhj

Edited by Ben Martin

Strive to Become The Type Of Person That Others Do Not Normally Encounter In This World

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.

Bottom line, look at the total cost of the program including belt test fees and the training you receive in return. If you don't think it is a good value, don't start that program. If you want a professional martial arts instructor, don't just go for the cheapest, unless that's what you are looking for.

It just doesn't feel right to be paying so much more for the black belt testing... But I guess that things work that way..?

I'm happy I don't need to face such situation in our school, even happier that we have a great teacher, that the price is reasonable and the quality on a high level :)

TKD Bill,

I know you're fairly new to this forum, not that I'm a veteran, but it's important to recognize who is here. Everyone!!! There are some very traditionally trained martial artists here who, while they understand your situation, believe it is wrong to charge anything more than what it takes to keep your school open.

Others, like yourself, are more modern. No one thinks ill of your way. It's just not their way.

Everyone Else,

Your testing fees, if any apply, are going to vary dramatically depending on your affiliations and the needs of your school. Fees in my school are $35.00 for kyu (gup) and $125 + for dan ranks. This is because the certifying body I fall under is very large. Those fees all go to them. In return, they bring in excellent Sensei from Japan, Korea, Brazil, and other countries to ensure we have very good training. The students see the payoff. Compared to many of your comments, these fees seem quite high. But I've met some very amazing people. It's not likely I will get to visit all those countries in my life, so I think it's worth the little extra.

However, all "profit" from my school is put into a fund set up for buying equipment for the dojo and fufilling the needs of the students who may be studying under a scholarship.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

pendakarshihan1,

I do recognize the "everyone" is in this forum. If it was only professional martial arts instructors, this debate would probably not take place. Difference of opinion is what makes the forum interesting. I think I can make a good point for MA students to recognize that there is real value to MA instruction (and testing) and they shouldn't feel bad about their instructor getting some financial reward for doing a great job.

I disagree with your point that it is more "traditional" to learn from part-time teachers who do not earn a living by teaching martial arts. I believe that the concept of full-time instructors and dedicated facilities goes back at least hundreds of years in Japan. I know for a fact that many of the martial arts pioneers in the US taught MA for a living. It is certainly not a modern concept. What some here might call "profit", they would have called "dinner".

Your belt tests sound great, and you get real value from them. Do you know for a fact that 100% of the fees go to the certifying body? In my association, and in several others I know, only a portion of the belt test fees go to the association.

When you bring in a Sensei from overseas, does the visiting Sensei make a profit (i.e. get paid) for coming? Would you be dissapointed if your own Sensei made a few dollars for his time and effort?

Here my dojo charges $25.00 for the test, and $5.00 for the belt. The very first belt test is $50.00 (this is for club membership and includes getting to travel with the team and many other things)...all money is always put towards the dojo and training equipment.

...I think I can make a good point for MA students to recognize that there is real value to MA instruction (and testing) and they shouldn't feel bad about their instructor getting some financial reward for doing a great job.

When you bring in a Sensei from overseas, does the visiting Sensei make a profit (i.e. get paid) for coming? Would you be dissapointed if your own Sensei made a few dollars for his time and effort?

First, I personally don't feel bad or dissapointed about my instructor making money with teaching us. I actually think it's great that he's got a chance in doing something he loves for a living. I'm happy for him. He's getting his well earned financial reward every month for lessons and twice a year for exams.

What bugged me were the cases where instructors charged more money only for the black belt exams and you couldn't figure out from the post wheter they were bringing in sensei from Japan or wherever... If they do it's understandable it costs more then fees for coloured belts. If they don't, then I don't get it. Maybe it's 'cause there are usually fewer candidates, the exam takes more time and therefore a price per person is higher... But so much higher?

In the end I think we all know, that quality products/services cost. Some even get suspicious if they don't. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Now its about 25 -40 and for my black belt test it was something along the lines of 150 I think.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

OMG! Most of the people posting here have it so easy (financially) at their dojo! I am so glad to hear not every place is like my first dojo. I live in a small town so there is no choice of where to train, really. It was (in Canadian Dollars) $99/month to train, $40/grading (belt included, no charge for next grading if you fail), and $300, yes $300 for any black belt grading!!!

This guy had so many students that he would have been making around $80 000 per year (I did the math)! This is before paying dojo fees like rent and utilities. Yet on top of making this much money, he somehow went bankrupt! A lot of students had just finished paying off higher monthly fees for the Black Belt Club (after paying off the full amount you don't pay again until after getting your black belt) when he took the money, declaired bankruptcy, and ran. Black Belt Club was something like $1 200 or $1 500, and some people paid it in full with cash the day before the sensei took off. Since he declaired bankruptcy, no one could sue to get their money back.

For those wondering, yes, on top of all that money for Black Belt Club, members would still have to pay $300 for the actual grading.

Free online martial arts lessons at https://www.intellifight.com (updated regularly)!