• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Belt Testing Fees

Well my school charges for testing and it is only 10 dollars and you get the belt, and certificate. I dont see a problem with paying 10 dollars to test if they are giving you something in return. Some people just need to stop trying to get everything for free....

What the superior man seeks is in himself; what the small man seeks is in others. - Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am new to this board, but I have been practicing and teaching taekwondo for many years. A few months ago I decided to make my passion for martial arts my full-time profession.

What I don't understand is why people posting on this board are so worried that something they pay for, such as belt test fees, might include some profit?

As a full time professional, I provide a superior program, great facility, and 6-day a week class schedule. I factor a profit margin into everything I charge for, because along with being a skilled martial arts instructor, I am a smart businessman. If I only charge just enough to pay the rent and electric bills, a slow month or two would put me out of business, and my students out of a school.

Belt test fees are figured into the overall income needs for the business. The guy down the street does not charge belt test fees, but his monthly fees are $20 higher than mine. Neither of us are wrong, just two different ways of doing business.

I don't disagree with your business approach as running a successful business requires good management techniques, but I prefer the school down the street approach of charging more and eliminating testing fees as this puts the emphasis on quality of instruction and personal effort rather than on paying for your belt. As a student I pay alot of money for classes and work hard for advancement-only to have to shell out a 50 more bucks for a 2 minute test and a 4 dollar belt. Cheapens the whole process to me, and as a consumer makes me feel like a money tree rather than a student. On the philosophical side my position is the same as my previous post-sweat equity is more valuable than dollars.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Two minute test? Our testings are a little different. Our testing day is an event that lasts several hours, involving each student for 30 to 60 minutes or more, depending on rank. We also bring in a guest instructor, usually from out of state, who helps judging and performs a demonstration.

The guy down the street actually does net more $ per student, because not every student tests at each opportunity. I only get the testing fee if I have prepared him/her adequately for testing. The other guy gets his higher monthly fee regardless of how well his students are prepared and whether or not they test.

Needless to say, since we have testings with several other schools and a guest instructor, I would not embarass myself by allowing someone to test who is not prepared.

I'm going in for my orange belt testing for kyokushin at the end of the month. What do you think he should/will charge? And if any of you instructors out there want to help me out... what will the format of the test be? Will some of it be questions, kata, sparring, basics? It is a world of mystery...

"I think therefore I am" Rene Descartes

If you are seriously getting charged 50 dollars for a 2 minute test then your school sorry to say this has some serious problems. You said you enjoy the satisfaction of a good sweat. What kind of sweat and satisfaction for that matter can you possibly acheive from a 2 minute test? We pay 10 dollars and we endure at the very least a 3hr test. Now to me that is much more satisfying and I am paying one fifth of the cost.

What the superior man seeks is in himself; what the small man seeks is in others. - Confucius

I've just taken over the running of the local club, which is now run as a non profit organisation. All instructors do not get paid, we do it to keep the club running.

The grading fees are £10 this covers the cost of the hall rental, belts and certificates. Sometimes guest instructor will attend for the gradings.

It is very hard to define what should be charged and what people will pay.

Are your gradings open or closed (Parents allowed to watch their child)

• 2 weeks later...

All tests up to and including the 1st kyu rank, are 25 dollars. This covers the cost of a decent belt (not the thin, flimsy ones), as well as a really nice certificate. Does that mean this is the cost of such materials? Of course not.

Holding examinations takes time, and generally requires that all of the instructors be there to serve on the panel, or as sets of eyes on the floor. Also, running a dojo can get expensive, and this is a reasonable way to collect a few extra dollars.

The shodan exam is $150, and this includes a very nice belt (made by Shureido, Tokaido, or Kamikaze) which is also embroidered with the name of the system on one side, and your name on the other side, in katakana. Also, an even nicer certificate is included, hand-signed by Soke himself.

Now, some people might say "but even a custom embroidered Shureido / Tokaido belt only costs 50 dollars, and the certificate doesn't cost that much! Where's the rest of the money going?"

IMHO, if one becomes shodan in a dojo, then he has certainly reaped many of the benefits that came with training, and in a sense, is giving back to the dojo. It's not really about the money at that point, since you've already invested many, many hours of your own life into training this hard, and are doing it for your own good.

If cost is really an issue, then perhaps speaking with your sensei / shihan about your dire financial situations might be OK, and perhaps arrangements can be made, such as paying in installments, etc. But if you do this just for the sake of saving a few bucks, then that's discourteous.

Most senseis / shihans who are good teachers of the martial arts, and have their own dojos, aren't going to be making tons of money doing this, and are in this for the love of the art, not for the prospects of becoming wealthy.