• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Here's a question I wanted to throw out there. People call Jeet Kune Do Concepts , actual JKD. And people call it "Bruce Lee's style!" Now concepts are idea's , and theorys. Alot of Jeet Kune Do Concepts add alot of diferant arts, Muay Thai, Silatand and many other styles. Mostly because of the fact that Bruce Lee said to use "No way as way" and "Using no limatations as limatations." But can you really call it actual Jeet Kune Do the art Bruce himself taught. Actual Jun Fan/Jeet Kune DO?I don't think you can. Because what Bruce taught and what Jeet Kune Do Concepts are teaching are 2 diferant things. I have no problem with people cross training, but can you morally and ethically say its actually Jeet Kune Do, what Bruce Lee taught his students and his friends? I don't think you can..... What do you think?

"Control your emotions, or they will control you"

Bruce Lee

What Belt am I? Black Belt, I wear it with my sunday outfit.

:-)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I would say that JKD Concepts just use JKD as a promo tool, and little more.

I personally believe that everyone has a "base" style, which they will draw heavily on. This is what they are teaching in the case of a JKD instructor I believe this should be Jun Fan. You can't build a good house without a solid foundation, for JKD this would be Jun Fan.

I know some JKD instructors that have bases in other arts like Tae Kwon Do, Karate, Kung-Fu etc... they teach JKD as a secondary class. I personally belive that is just a marketing ploy to use Bruce's name. Some of these guy claiming to be instructors with only a months work of weeekend seminars to their credit.

Morallly and ethically if you have learned Jun Fan Gung Fu then fine, as you progress call it JKD. Crosstraing, and well don't claim you are doing Bruce's Fighting Style....

Just my 10 cents.

:spitlaugh:

JKD I can hear ya there....from what I have heard from Dan Inasonto himself (certified by Bruce Lee to teach JKD), JKD and JKD Concepts are totally different. JKD Concepts does not have a direct lineage to Bruce Lee, but JKD does.

It's difficult for a new student to tell the differance unfortunantly, but there are major differances in the 2 systems.

Hasta!!

http://www.spooxdl.homestead.com/files/slider3.jpg

Check out "Koldsteel" Enterprises. We offer a wide variety of aluminum samurai swords for training or competition. All of these swords are light as a feather, but look awsome.

Http://hometown.aol.com/koldsteel504/myhomepage/profile.html

[ This Message was edited by: Slider on 2002-01-18 08:54 ]

Check out "Koldsteel" Enterprises. We offer a wide variety of aluminum samurai swords for training or competition. All of these swords are light as a feather, but look awsome.

Http://hometown.aol.com/koldsteel504/myhomepage/profile.html

Well Joecooke, JKD is what Bruce taught himself, he did have alot of theory in it, and alot of leasons about emotions and finding your way. Finding what works for you, and throwing out all the other stuff.

Oh and Slider, I really like what you had to say man. I didn't know Dan Inasonto thought of the 2 as diferant things. I'm very impressed about what you had to say man.

Iron Arahat - I really liked what you had to say, some good thoughts. I enjoyed it . THanks for "your 10 cents" =)

Bruce Lee

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I think there is some confusion here between two things....

Jeet Kune Do - The holistic PROCESS of study that we follow in our pursuit of totatlity in combat - we utilise the philosophy & "concepts" of JKD in this PROCESS. You see, Jeet Kune Do is not a product, a destination - it is the journey :grin:

Jun Fan Gung Fu (others call it Jun Fan JKD) - This is the physical art actually taught by SiJo Bruce Lee to his students. It makes a great base from which to travel the JKD path and is an essential area of our study - in fact it is our "core".

So - JKD / JKDC contains Jun Fan Gung Fu, but we are not limited or "bound" by it. We use all ways - and are bound by none.

Hope that makes sense.

YODA

2nd Degree Black Belt : Doce Pares Eskrima https://www.docepares.co.uk

Qualified Instructor : JKD Concepts https://www.jkdc.co.uk

Qualified Fitness Instructor (Weights, CV, Circuit, Kinesiology)

• 2 weeks later...

I teach/train Jun Fan Gung Fu, but I do call it JKD so that people realize that it's a Bruce Lee thing. All of this "JKD" vs "JKD Concepts" stuff is nonsense. My advice is this.. STFU and train.

:evil:

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

I think you are one hundred percent right Thaiboxerken. Hardwork is the key here, all you have to do is read about the work ethic and realise why Bruce Lee was so good. His work ethic demonstrates to us all that he deserved exactly what he got out of life, and that was plenty.

As i have mentioned earlier, there are no JKD schools in Melbourne, Australia. But you can train hard, refine your skills, and let your body flow to be able to KICK ASS.

Now water can flow or creep or drip - or crash!

Be water, my friend.

Bruce Lee.

"If people say Jeet Kune Do is different from "this" or from "that", then let the name of Jeet Kune Do be wiped out, for thats all it is, just a name. Please dont fuss over it."

Bruce Lee, Tao of Jeet Kune Do

Yoda, I do like what you have to say about having Jun Fan/Jeet Kune Do as your foundation, and your core. And I'm glad to see that the Concepts people understand that. And it's true you should not be bound by any set law or form. But in order to get to the formlessness you must have the good core. To get to formlessness you must first have form, then to brake away from it.

I'm all for cross training, my thing is, just call it as it is. Don't put all these other arts into JKD, and then call it JKD.

But I really liked what you had to say Yoda, thanks for posting. :cool:

Bruce Lee