• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Calling all Shotokan students

Dr. Flem

I just started taking Shotokan it is nice so far.

.. I don't know the Shotokan katas yet but I similarity in movements. Which is not surpising as I have read that Shotokan came from Shuri-Te

From my studying sad to say I have noticed that there was no grappling in Shotokan that I can see so far.

Dear friend ,good luck with your training ,there are grappling techniques in shotokan katas which you will come across ,first one I can think of is in heian sandan :wink:

never give up !

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey,

Ive been training in Shotokan for a bit over three years and am a Black Belt. I find it very good and the best Martial Arts style I've ever done.

I train 4 times a week and am a member of the KUGB.

"To be elated at success, and dissappointed at defeat, is to be the child of Circumstances."

I wish I followed that rule! ^^ I hate Losing!

Hey,

Ive been training in Shotokan for a bit over three years and am a Black Belt. I find it very good and the best Martial Arts style I've ever done.

I train 4 times a week and am a member of the KUGB.

Who is your sensie ? is it frank brennan ,if so you are very lucky ! :wink:

never give up !

Dear friend ,good luck with your training ,there are grappling techniques in shotokan katas which you will come across ,first one I can think of is in heian sandan :wink:

The first kata containing "full" grappling techniques would acutally be in heian nidan. Although there are some grappling elements in heian shodan as well.

Oooh! I'm working on Heian Nidan right now. What techniques would be considered "grappling?"

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

I did a grappling application with my beginners class on saturday using the opening sequence of Heian Nidan - that bit of it where you have both arms raised, then crossed then one outstretched punching.

The 'crossing arms' can be a useful grappling technique, for both stand up and ground. There's also other areas in H. Nidan that can have grappling applications.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Our school is a derivative of Shotokan but basically the same.

Shotokan is an excellent school but lets not forget one thing. It is you that makes the difference.

Do three to five times as much training at home as you do at the dojo (attending normal classes) and you cant go wrong but to be very skilled.

Follow what is taught at the dojo

Set up a weight training programme

Do plyometric exercises

Have a running schedule including anaerobic work

Use various equipment such as a punching/kicking bag, makiwara, and anything you can create.

For self training I recommend recording a lesson on an audio tape and following it. Perhaps ask your teacher if you can record a few classes and follow them at home.

Personally I have used self training audio tapes for over 20 years. I keep setting goals to surpass what I was able to do in those self created lessons.

Set the goal of being harder on yourself than anyone else can be. Train until you drop from exhaustion and begin again soon with the same strict regiment.

For exhaustion and soreness relief take Glutamine

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

I did a grappling application with my beginners class on saturday using the opening sequence of Heian Nidan - that bit of it where you have both arms raised, then crossed then one outstretched punching.

The 'crossing arms' can be a useful grappling technique, for both stand up and ground. There's also other areas in H. Nidan that can have grappling applications.

Not saying you are wrong but we learned that these movement as block and punch ,because of the speed this aplication in hein nidan ,we have learned that the slow movement in the kata where you apply tention are the grappling ones ,like the opening move of sochin . :wink:

never give up !

The first kata containing "full" grappling techniques would acutally be in heian nidan. Although there are some grappling elements in heian shodan as well.

We practice the moves you are reffering in hein nidan as block and punch because of the speed they are performed.but never the less there is nothing wrong to have that concept as they will work but at slower speed.

never give up !