Dr. Flem

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dr.Flem ,There is a magazine published called Australian fighting arts ,read that and call them if necessary to find out his address

I read an article about him in fighting arts magazine published in UK in late 80s. I think his first name was stephan but not sure ,but he had excellent pedigree of karate and had world tytles .If I ever find that mag .I will let you know. :idea:

never give up !

I have been training for a few years now. With regards to Shotokan, unfortunately, some clubs are more concerned about being associated with the "JKA" than teaching. As for the martial art itself, all I can say is that all martial art styles have strength and weaknesses. The more I train, the more unsatisfied I am with the style. However, this is not unique to shotokan. People training in Goju will feel the same way too. In most cases, cross training will be necessary at one point or another.

Yeah, I figured that there would be bad points to every style. What are the bad points of Shotokan?

I have not noticed any bad points in shotokan ,only bad standards and poor instruction .Shotokan is a style which caters for any age and body type ,once basics are mastered the karateka will adapt his form acoarding to their body type and age ,so some one who starts at 60 will still benefit and improve ,maybe he find it hard to do the high round house kick but so what ? you learn to pick the things that work best for your body and use them to your advantage.

never give up !

I started training in Shotokan Karate in September 1993, and up until January of 1997 when I took a break. I have recently (just september past) restarted training again, and I have refound a new love of the art. I am 3rd Kyu (first brown) and will be tested in 3 weeks for 2nd Kyu; to follow that if all goes well, to be tested for 1st kyu in June 2005.

The dojo I started out in was under the ITKF , and now train in a dojo under ISKF. I have found some minor differences in the teachings of both lineages.

I train 3-4 hours weekly in the structered classes, and I also train on my own or with other like-colored belts 1-3 hours weekly on the side.

For my build (6 feet tall, 230lbs) I have found that Shotokan karate offers powerful techniques.

,only bad standards and poor instruction.

Alas, (like TKD) Shotokan does suffer from having many many instructors who are incompetent, because of the popularity of this art.

Unfortunately there will always be "bandwagon jumpers" in any area of life, and Shotokan karate has its fair share of them - which only adds to the reputation of Shotokan as an outdated, incomplete and unworkable style. However, if you find a good teacher of Shotokan then it can be a great style to learn and very practical.

In reality, there are a LOT of good aspects to Shotokan (such as the grappling and ground work techniques) but a lot of clubs do not train in these aspects and only do the 'stereotypical' Shotokan long low stances, chambered fists and unworkable blocking - all of which are NOT what Shotokan is about. :(

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Alas, (like TKD) Shotokan does suffer from having many many instructors who are incompetent, because of the popularity of this art.

Unfortunately there will always be "bandwagon jumpers" in any area of life, and Shotokan karate has its fair share of them - which only adds to the reputation of Shotokan as an outdated, incomplete and unworkable style. However, if you find a good teacher of Shotokan then it can be a great style to learn and very practical.

In reality, there are a LOT of good aspects to Shotokan (such as the grappling and ground work techniques) but a lot of clubs do not train in these aspects and only do the 'stereotypical' Shotokan long low stances, chambered fists and unworkable blocking - all of which are NOT what Shotokan is about. :(

I agree 100%. We do grappling, throws - the lot!

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

I totally agree .There is a photo under the thread "shotokan fighting stance " that reflects above statement.

never give up !