• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Instructional Videos, Good or Bad?

KenpoMike

I followed a thread on the merit of instructional videos. I agreed with what seemed to be the consensus that they are of limited value to beginners and a good resource as a supplement. I have a blue belt in American Kenpo, three years of training, and a brown belt in Chinese Kenpo Karate both Ed Parker styles. I have purchased the videos from Michael Accord's Kenpo. Great videos demonstrated by Mohamad Tabati(?). Is anyone familiar with Michael Accord? Secondly, should I bother to pursue ranking through a home study program? I intend on using the tapes anyway but was curious to know what value most place on a degree from one of these homestudy programs? Little or nothing? I love kenpo but currently do not have access to a local instructor. I am currently taking combat Hapkido to something else comes available.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Instructional videos can be a great asset to your training, however nothing is better than a live instructor because he can watch you and make corrections as he sees the need for it. If you are unable to attend any classes, training with a video is certainly better than not training.

Promotions by video, in my opinion, is not highly regarded, however if this is your only means, then do it.....I have never taken any tests by video nor do I know anyone that has.

If anyone out there has taken these video tests, I would like to hear from them and their experience with them.

What works works

I followed a thread on the merit of instructional videos. I agreed with what seemed to be the consensus that they are of limited value to beginners and a good resource as a supplement. I have a blue belt in American Kenpo, three years of training, and a brown belt in Chinese Kenpo Karate both Ed Parker styles. I have purchased the videos from Michael Accord's Kenpo. Great videos demonstrated by Mohamad Tabati(?). Is anyone familiar with Michael Accord? Secondly, should I bother to pursue ranking through a home study program? I intend on using the tapes anyway but was curious to know what value most place on a degree from one of these homestudy programs? Little or nothing? I love kenpo but currently do not have access to a local instructor. I am currently taking combat Hapkido to something else comes available.

I think you're right on the money here KenpoMike. If you already have a background in the art, video's can be of help..but not if you're a beginner.

As for promotions via videos...they're as good as the paper they're written on IMHO....which isn't much.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

...agreed with what seemed to be the consensus that they are of limited value to beginners and a good resource as a supplement. I have a blue belt in American Kenpo, three years of training, and a brown belt in Chinese Kenpo Karate both Ed Parker styles. I have purchased the videos from Michael Accord's Kenpo. Great videos demonstrated by Mohamad Tabati(?). {Tabitabi}...should I bother to pursue ranking through a home study program? I intend on using the tapes anyway but was curious to know what value most place on a degree from one of these homestudy programs? Little or nothing? I love kenpo but currently do not have access to a local instructor. I am currently taking combat Hapkido to something else comes available.

I'm in a lot the same boat as you. I currently have started the IKCA curriculum, but have a background in American Kenpo, as well as have studied and worked with several other martial arts.

If you search back in the archives here, you'll see thatmy posts and opinions have been pretty consistant- with one exception. After looking into the concept of video training, I have changed my opinion of it. I used to be against the idea except as a suppliment to other training. I still think that is the best way. But I have since seen that it can work well for training on its own. How well depends on the quality of video instruction, how much the student is willing to put in to training, and the standards of the instructors in corrrecting and giving extra instruction. A lot like training in person.

Video tests can be tougher than testing in person. The camera picks up everything, and the testor can replay as many times as he wants.

I don't really care about rank. It's usually meaningles outside your particular school or system anyhow, no matter how you got it.

My advice is to stay with the Combat Hapkido if you can, and still do the Kenpo video course. If you can only do one, then you'll just have to pick. I can't say which is best in your case. Good luck!

Freedom isn't free!

if you visit https://www.karateconnection.com you will get a brief overwiew of tape testing and how it works, doens;'t work, etc.

it is the IKCA curriculum.

I have trained with an individual who wqas taking the video courses, and he knew the curriculum...the biggest downfall was waiting for the tape to come back with the corrections on it instead of having an instructor immediately there to correct it.

But if you have no other alternative, I would say for the cost involved, go for it.

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

My advice for video training- get a camera and video yourself doing kata and waza.

then,

humiliate yourself by watching it in super slow motion with your sensei. Ouch.

If you do this once a year with your basic (preBB) kata, the results shold be stupendous.

No sensei? As a brown belt, you should be able to self evaluate and self correct.

Video training can be very helpful in that is DOES pick up all of your mistakes and they can be scrutinized by the testing instructor, as has been pointed out.

The merits of this is that they will correct things that are not caught in a standard testing environment. This can lead to some very good technical changes that could get worse down the road if left unchecked.

As for the value of rank testing, it would depend on if you can use the techniques that you learn. I have learned some weapons kata from video and though I do know the kata, I feel they are only a shallow representation. A live instructor is better, but videos have there place in today's martial arts world. So give it a go, it can't do anything but increase your knowledge.

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."

http://www.adrianroman.com/Distant_learning.htm

here you go, why wait go ahead and get your black belt now :roll:

now sarcasm aside..

videos are an excellent aide to your real life training.

They are not and cannot be a substitute for it.

any belt or ranking given through the mail or distance learning is as valuable as if I declared you president of the united states of Fred.

wont get you very far, and while you may impress your friends with saying your a black belt, you will know you are little more then a armchair quarterback.

I do think that distance learning tapes can give people more skill in and of themselves... But to advance in rank is not even dubious its outright fraud.

wont get you very far, and while you may impress your friends with saying your a black belt, you will know you are little more then a armchair quarterback.

I do think that distance learning tapes can give people more skill in and of themselves... But to advance in rank is not even dubious its outright fraud.

To compare all distance learning to a couple of obviouse frauds is a stretch. Some do maintain high standards. Like I said earlier, I used to think along similar lines, but I have since seen video courses work. Those fraudulent IKCA distance guys cleaned up at Nationals a year ago. I've also met some really tough competitors in MMA and other full contact venues who do the IKCA carriculum for their striking art. I met one tough cop from LA who does IKCA Kenpo, and instructs self defense classes for his and other departments. These people are hardly 'armchair quarterbacks'. More like one man offensive lines!

Freedom isn't free!