• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kenpo: How does this school look?

ElSteve

Hi, I just joined the forums today (I have my introduction posted in the introductions forums). I have been looking around for a different style for a while now, currently in Kuk Sool Won, and I have recently taken interest in Kenpo, specificly Ed Parker American Kenpo. What are yall's opinions on this style? I'm looking first and foremost a practical, self-defense style that could be feasible in the streets, should I ever be attacked.

Through my searching of kenpo, I have stumbled upon this school:

http://www.austinkenpokarate.com/index.html

Does this school seem like one of those "McDojos" or does it seem legitamate? Does anybody live in austin, and perhaps trains there? If so, what is your opinion on the school, and the instructor? Can you perhaps tell me about how the class is run, such as how much we spar, the normal class structure, etc. Any comments from anybody would be helpful.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It is always difficult to know if a studio is a "Mcdojo" with no direct contact with the place. I suggest that you contact anyone of his past instructors to see if they recommend him and his dojo :karate:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

one more thing, make sure he is really there teaching, in some schools you never see the sensei.

i left one school just becuse of that . now some schools have real good , solid high rank students that you can learn from ,i guess you have to go a stay with them for a while. hey good luck , i like to learn a little bit kenpo too.

if it works, go for it. I wouldn't buy into it unless you were able to take at least a couple of weeks of free classes...just to get the idea of if it would work for you. Go and watch a couple of classes before deciding on anything...watch the advanced classes also if you can.

There are a couple of things that make me leery about the school just from reading through the site and bios, but you should be the one to make the decisions.

The style taught doesn't seem to be the Ed Parker's American Kenpo that I study. From the commercials on the site, it seems to be a homogolation of traditional kung fu, grappling, freestyle karate.

That is not to say that it isn't what you may be looking for...I wouldn't discount the idea of attending this school jsut because it doesn't seem to fit me.

By all means, give it a shot...as well as other schools in your area. The way I see it, if you are looking at making a several-year, several thousand dollar investment, you should research you r options...look at it this way, you wouldn't buy a car from one dealership just because they saiy they are the best would you?

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

Good suggestions all around, thanks for all the replies. I will visit this school sometime in the next few months (my parents won't let me switch until I get my 2nd degree :( ). Also, if anybody has any other good schools they could recommend me, I'm all ears :karate:, although I still remain highly interested in American kenpo.

I saw a couple of things I'm not sure about in the clips; riseing in stance and a little weak in form Long One. But I wouldn't want to judge solely on that. Few schools are perfect, even in advertising clips! I also see some influences from the other systems they incorporate, which can be good.

Things I'd ask about:

How do they incorporate and marry the principles used in the different systems? This is especially important since they list Tracy Kenpo in their lineage.

Do they spar, and sometimes with hard contact?

I'd personally be a little concerned that they list Mitose in their lineage. Ask if there is any Kajukenbo influence in their system, and if so did it come directly from Mitose? There are some Good Kajukenbo systems and Kenpo offshoots out there, but I've heard nothing good about Mitose or his Kenpo.

You already hold rank in one martial art, so I'd agree that you should check out the school. Go with your gut feeling on whether it is legit, and if it is for you. Good luck!

Freedom isn't free!

All Kajukenbo schools have Mitose in their lineage.

Mitose taught Sijo Adriano Emperado who was the founder of the Kajukenbo system.

Yes, but there are some good schools out there which have went past what Mitose taught. I believe Kajukenbo incorporates Karate, Judo, Kempo, and I don't remember what the bo stands for.

As for Mitose, he was a controversial figure in US/Hawaiian martial arts. Some swear by him, some swear at his name, and whenever the topic comes up everyone usually ends up swearing at each other! So I'll just give the advice to cautiously check out the school and see for himself- which is the same advice I give to anyone looking at American Kenpo or modern dance schools.

Freedom isn't free!