• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"Vanilla" Kung Fu?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hmmmm.... Yeah, does sound a little like that, doesn't it? I don't agree with some of the things said, but other things, I agree with, like this:

"Don't be fooled for an instant because someone's style sounds old, or they come from China, or they claim to have brothers in the Shaolin Temple. There's a war of extinction going on here aided by people who don't really believe that martial arts matters any more and we have to get the kid's attention at any cost, who specialize in bringing the service to the public regardless of the concessions, or that the hope of the future lies in the Olympics, or sports, or impressing people at parties. "

It did jump around, though. I've never heard of this style before. Hmmm......

I agree with that quote aswell. I also like the quote: "The kicks are simply kicks, like a human being would throw not a gymnastic robot."

I watched a fighting match at a Kung Fu tournament between 2 girls - one who practiced Hung Gar and another girl who practiced some sort of Wushu, whom of which had the same level of experience. (I'm not comparing the two, simply giving an example, both have pros and cons etc.) Anyway, they were dueling it out and the Wushu girl blocked a punch, although she appeared to block way too wide and she was then pounded with a series of punches to the chest/stomach. From there she didn't even block or anything at all..she just yelled and pretty much spazzed out - I'm guessing from lack of actual fighting experience. (I'm not knocking Wushu or any martial art by stating the above, the two fighting styles were just examples so don't flame me. :))

The point I'm trying to make is this: there's a difference between a sportish martial art and an actual "warefare" styled martial art. Fancy kicks and blocks honestly won't do jack against an opponent who is taught to guard like mad and go ballastic when they see an opening, which is obviously what the majority of high kicks and wide blocks create. Too many martial arts are based purely on sport and not enough on actual street use, and that's why kids are getting their * kicked on the street. It happens frequently here.

In that aspect, I like this artcle, although it gets kind of off topic..and I've never heard of Bai-de Kung Fu. Maybe it's just a general Kung Fu idea and not necessarily a style? *shrugs*

Close Quarters Combat Tactics - Hope to see you there!

Yes, too many dojos nowadays are more sport oriented, and then when a street situation comes up they're unprepared. They learn to pull their kicks, punches, do the fancy stuff that'll score you points, but in a self-defense situation no amount of points is gonna help you. It's disconcerting, really, how many schools only train for sports now.

I don't think the problem is teaching high kicks or complex blocks/techniques, it's not teaching when to use it.

As far as Bai-De - never heard of it. Althought it doesnt sound fishy, suprisingly.

The game of chess is much like a swordfight; you must think before you move.

Most of it looks like an opinion that appeared one afternoon on IRC #Christian in the mid ninties. the statement about 'okinawan' is just this editor's view to encapsulate the rest as his own. everything that was typed on the IRC is stored in government files, including the user names and profiles. he should be more careful.

Ah! Mantis Grasshopper, i think you would do very nicely on a bowl of rice!

Most of it looks like an opinion that appeared one afternoon on IRC #Christian in the mid ninties. the statement about 'okinawan' is just this editor's view to encapsulate the rest as his own. everything that was typed on the IRC is stored in government files, including the user names and profiles. he should be more careful.

Stored in government files, lol why? Tad ambiguous of a statement if you ask me. I presume you're saying he should be more careful if he wants to remain credible, not implying that the G-men will come for him with their 'files' :lol:

As for the article, it seemed to me all he was saying was that 'plain' Kung Fu (that works) looks functional not fancy. Something anyone involved in the CMA scene would know anyway.

"...or maybe you are carrying a large vicious dog in your pocket." -Scottnshelly