• advertisement_alt
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In real life:

Keep in ur mind not for u but also everyone in this forum

There is no need for us to fight with others

As possible as we shud not make the problem as big.

We are not learning to defeat or others

Else we do then we'll be a rowdy

I mean that we shud be quiet even when our opponents attack us

We shud be aware in every second that anything may happen even in a second like Tsunami

Sight shud be sharp and we r not heroes of cinema

Don't attack first

but it doesn't means to get bruising from enemies

Shud attack and enemy shud be knocked down

But Saprring class the scene is different u shud attack to know ur oppponents counter attack technic which is useful in former case

u can also learn the blocking frames of the counterattack and also a measure of ur technic

In real life:

Keep in ur mind not for u but also everyone in this forum

There is no need for us to fight with others

As possible as we shud not make the problem as big.

We are not learning to defeat or others

Else we do then we'll be a rowdy

I mean that we shud be quiet even when our opponents attack us

What is so difficult to understand? Those of us advocating pre-emptive striking are NOT saying you should initiate confrontations. Once you are in a confrontation that you cannot get out of, as a defensive measure, hit first. It's that simple.

Hengest

"A coward believes he will ever live

if he keep him safe from strife:

but old age leaves him not long in peace

though spears may spare his life." - Hávamál, Saying 16

Hengest, I understand exactly what you mean, i have no problem with that what i am saying is that, to be a winner ,pre-emptive attack is "A" answer, actualy "A" very good way but not "the" answer. since there is a defensive counter attack strategy that can works as well, i am agree in most cases a pre-emptive attacker may have a better chance but still it is a "most" not "all". i can see some people get this totally wrong they think about moral/legal issues but it is not about this kind of stuff , you are already at the middle of the fight we just talking about the approches we can take to subdo the opponent or simply to be offensive and the winner or defensive and the winner. that was my original intention about this thread, I am gonna thank Cross and Hengest for their posts, I think this is a time for us to move on, this is getting out of hand with some of our friends comeing to express their ideas without reading all the posts since it's just too long.

It was stated in the begining of the thread that this is NOT a life and death situation. This means you are not in a bar or a dark alley or anything the like. Where, then, does the person in your face come from?

When you say it's not a life and death situation and NO weapons are involved, there is now only a small element of reality left. Much like Pride, or UFC or some other NHB fighting. In the majority of those fights, the person who gets the solid hit in first usually wins.

Skill level is going to play a huge part of your question. You MUST assume two fighters of equal skill. Otherwise, the more skilled fighter will win. This is because it's not a real situation and the elements of weapons, multiple attackers, and luck are now gone.

When you begin to advance into higher ranks, you will see that the line between attack and counter attack is razor thin. You may begin to react to things like blinking eyes or seeing toes grip the floor. However, these things do not play into real situations. You do not usually have the benifit of sparring with a real attacker hundreds of times to learn his little quirks.

Lastly, your question has no real answer. Afterall, both types of attack should be used at different times. If you have an overly aggressive partner, sure you counter... he's asking for it. If you have a more passive opponent, he will not attack without an opening. Maybe not even with an opening. So you must attack first. To practice one over another is just silly and limits your ability. You must pracitce both. Otherwise you and your training partner just stand there looking at one another.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

It was stated in the begining of the thread that this is NOT a life and death situation. This means you are not in a bar or a dark alley or anything the like. Where, then, does the person in your face come from?

When you say it's not a life and death situation and NO weapons are involved, there is now only a small element of reality left. Much like Pride, or UFC or some other NHB fighting. In the majority of those fights, the person who gets the solid hit in first usually wins.

Skill level is going to play a huge part of your question. You MUST assume two fighters of equal skill. Otherwise, the more skilled fighter will win. This is because it's not a real situation and the elements of weapons, multiple attackers, and luck are now gone.

When you begin to advance into higher ranks, you will see that the line between attack and counter attack is razor thin. You may begin to react to things like blinking eyes or seeing toes grip the floor. However, these things do not play into real situations. You do not usually have the benifit of sparring with a real attacker hundreds of times to learn his little quirks.

Lastly, your question has no real answer. Afterall, both types of attack should be used at different times. If you have an overly aggressive partner, sure you counter... he's asking for it. If you have a more passive opponent, he will not attack without an opening. Maybe not even with an opening. So you must attack first. To practice one over another is just silly and limits your ability. You must pracitce both. Otherwise you and your training partner just stand there looking at one another.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• 3 months later...

I have been in a lot of street fights when I was young. In 90% of the cases they all tried to hit me with a haymaker.

I learnt from very early on, that when a confrontation starts that they try and get close to you.

You can tell they are going to attack you by their verbal onslaught and body language. So when this starts keep your distance and keep your hands up by your head. Its a good idea to keep scratching your ear so your hand is up ready to protect your head.

Keep calm and watch their every move. Be on the ready to side step. Don’t step back as this allows him and easy path of attack. Its straight ahead.

What I often did was if he was punching with his right was to side step to my left which is his right. This puts his left hand out of the way for a combination punch.

As he punches, side step the attack and counter attack. The most effective and successful for me in street fights was to counter attack with a backfist strike to the head or a low level side kick to his legs. The kick to the legs was most unexpected by them.

By now he is to your right and often his right foot is leading. This puts him in a very precarious position. Your initial counter attack should at least stun him and now he is in a prime position to have his feet swept away from underneath him.

Taking a street fighter down this way is incredibly humiliating for them. Once he goes down I found all that happened after that was verbal abuse and threats as he moved away from me. If you are well trained and really want to humiliate him, after he is on the ground, bob up and down (kind of in the spot jogging) like a boxer does preparing for a fight. I personally believe in 2 eyes for an eye. If someone wants to be vicious enough to attack you, then put them down hard and humiliate them especially in front of their friends. Maybe they will learn a lesson.

I have had situations where I have blocked and countered with a punch or groin kick in classical Karate format, so I know that works.

I have also, as he was punching me, countered with a front kick to the stomach before his punch actually hit me. That stopped him pretty quick.

To my shame I also once got into a fight with a cop that was trying to arrest me. He came up from behind and tried to put a classic police wrist lock on me from behind. I didn’t know it was a cop as this was happening, so I broke the lock, jumped up on a wall, turned around and put two front kicks into the cops face. He dropped like a led balloon.

This was outside a night club where there was a huge brawl. When I realised it was a cop, I freaked. I just jumped down from the wall and apologised and explained that I thought it was someone from the night club. The cop wanted to arrest me for assault, but his sergeant came over and I explained things to him and he was really cool. He had watched the whole thing and said the cop should and spoken to me first or at least yelled to get my attention. The sergeant said it was likely I could defend the case in self defence and that I would likely win as the cop never spoke to me nor read me my rights. So there you go, I got away with kicking a cop in the face.... twice. I am not proud of this and what I learnt from this was to first find out who and what I was attacking. To think before I react.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing