• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Will you attack first or you wait?

P.A.L

I would try to do everything I could to not fight. Now if he attacks me well I guess my views just changed. I would wait. Why fight if I don't have to?

I think everyone agrees that its best to avoid the fight if possible. We are talking about a situation where talking your way out of it hasnt worked.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey cross where's the test?

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

hey cross where's the test?

Next time your training why dont you do a little test and then come back and tell us all how it went. Get your sempai or one of the better students to put on your boxing gloves(so they dont hurt your face) an do a mock fighting situation. Ask the person to try and hit you in the face as hard and fast as he can when HE is ready without telling you first. Start arguing or whatever not at sparring distance, but right in each others face. When he throws his technique, (im talking about a proper pre-emptive punch here, not a chambered punch that falls short before it hits you.) Try and defend against it and counter attack. I can almost guarentee that you will be eating leather. Seriously do this and tell us how you go. Then you can even switch roles and attack your opponent when your ready.

Even if you do it a few times to make sure it wasnt a fluke, you will find that the person attacking will land the punch alot more times than you can defend against it effectively, so you may not win a fight everytime if you attack first but it dramatically increases your chances.

P.A.L.,

Please explain to me how "faking an attack to get the other person to attack" isn't an attack in itself! In this situation, your opponent believes he's responding to an attack by you!

In the situation you have set up, there will never be an aggressor or defender! They blend together. Aiuchi!

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

pendakarshihan1, you are right , this thread is off the topic now what i meant to discuse was a comparision between attacking strategy and counter attackers, otherwise obviously an attacker also defend and counter attacker also attack.

as far as the test cross mentioned we did it and i was able to counter attack very good more than %75 of times, but later we did another test this time a full contact sparr with my sensei he was supose to only counter attack then i was supose to counter attack only in the second half, as my sensei successfully manged to counter attack over all my attacks ,I was not successfull in stoping his fast combinations and in no time i was bloody all over.

so as cross mentioned before skill is also important me and my sensei are both counter attackers but i saw the difference he landed at leat 10-15 clean shot in my face while i only managed one. i one counter attack he also after blocking my punch hold my gi and kicked me in the neck with his shin. i was also able to shin kick him in the rib under his attacking arm once. so far i think you can be either attacker or counter attacker and successfull too.

so far i think you can be either attacker or counter attacker and successfull too.

Thats fine if we are talking about sparring strategy but in a self defence situation attack and escape should be your number 1 objectives.

If you let someone in an arguement get close enough to be "in your face" then you've already put yourself at a disadvantage. Who strikes first has the advantage in this case. I wouldn't ever let myself be put in that situation. That sounds more like an "ego" over smart self-defense.

R. McLain

You make a good point, but if someone is serious about hurting you thats exactly how they are going to be: "in your face". Maybe you can shed some light on the subject of keeping someone further than arms length (punching distance) away from you without hitting them?? Unless ofcourse you are talking about placing a physical obsticle between yourself and the other person.

That sounds more like an "ego" over smart self-defense.

Im not saying you should push the person and puff out your chest whilst yelling at them. You should be developing your boundaries with the fence position, but even then you can only keep them at arms length away from you.

Smart self defence is giving yourself every chance available to get away from the situation without getting badly hurt. The first step in this is to realise that the first strike is half the fight.

as far as the test cross mentioned we did it and i was able to counter attack very good more than %75 of times,

I dont want to take anything away from your instructor, im sure he/she is very capable. But if you try and be a "counter fighter" against someone who knows how to set you up for a pre-emptive strike you will find it difficult to land an attack at all after they hit you.

If you want to train so you can save yourself from getting beat-up by the basic thug then go for it. But i like to train so i stand a chance against people who know how to fight well, if the need arises. Its better to be overprepared than under when it comes to self defence.

Your tactics should work against everyone you have the potential to come up against. I find that attacking first does this. If you take the "counter fighter" aproach against someone good at pre-emptive strikes, you wont know of their skill until after they have hit you. By then its usually 2 late.