• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Will you attack first or you wait?

P.A.L

i don't see much difference between Aikido and karate.

Both are martial arts from japan, thats about all they have in common.

*ahem*...karate is from Okinawa actually. Sure, a part of Japan...but Okinawans don't generally like being called Japanese.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So i guess all that karate and aikido have in common now is that they are martial arts.

:lol:

That depends also on what system of karate you're talking about. For instance, the system I practice (look under my name to the left for details) has a part incorporated into it called tuite. It is very similar to aikido techniques in many ways.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

If I think they are gonna hit me....I will clock em' first....and continue until the threat is gone.

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6!!!!! :karate:

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

If I think they are gonna hit me....I will clock em' first....and continue until the threat is gone.

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6!!!!! :karate:

If the attacker has a weapon, or there are more than one of them, or he is larger than me...yes, I'll attack first. But in ANY other situation, to attack first, and I'm talking just a fight here, not being in fear of your life, then you are a fool to attack first and take the chance of legal repercussions afterwards.

I'd take a black eye and a few bruises over thousands of dollars worth of HIS medical bills and a possible jail sentence any day.

No doubt Shorinryu Sensei...I took the question as a real threat to self, not just an argument going sour or something of that nature...I would do everything I could to avoid any physical clash, to me that is the real meaning behind our training. However if it was a group or an armed situation, where the threat is more than a possible butt whippin, I would "do what I have to do". I would never and have never carelessly use my training.

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

As a female if I come up against a male, and I am certain that he will hit first I think I would get in there and use the element of surprise. That way I may even the odds up a little bit - and anything that does that is good by me. Why let someone mash my face before I decide to do anything.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

That depends also on what system of karate you're talking about. For instance, the system I practice (look under my name to the left for details) has a part incorporated into it called tuite. It is very similar to aikido techniques in many ways.

so there is a siezing/controlling part in karate. tuite(chin na) been there for a long time but it is seems to be forgotten now a days , if we look deeper and take these narrow sighted glasses of styles off we do see the similarity between Aikido and karate.

if we look deeper and take these narrow sighted glasses of styles off we do see the similarity between Aikido and karate.

When I trained in Aikido I found quite a lot of similarities between my own Karate training and my training in Aikikai Aikido. Training in both of them at the same time actually helped to improve my grasp and understanding of both arts.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I posted this in karate section and I was hoping to see more defensive strategist. We practice karate right? We go to dojo practice kata and wazas some of us spar some not but kata and waza is the main part.

Now kata is defensive set of movements ,starts with a block and end with a block/strike

In okinawan karate you still can see the offensive looks of defensive blocks but in Japanese version everything just looks good and they have to make it effective by bringing the concept of “oyo” as a alteration of “Bunkai”.

then in waza , attacker comes in with different technique. we practice our counter attacks to disable an attacker over and over thousands of times.

so what’s the reason that every body comes in the first thing they say is that if fight is inevitable then they attack first ,why do you think whoever attacked first has a better chance. I presented Aikido as another defensive art but some didn’t get it. I only saw one more person with a defensive counter attack strategy. I think if you practice 6 hours a week on a defensive art then you should have more fate on the ideas behind it otherwise it means we didn’t get the art, just like a Aikido practitioner tell us that he attacks first if he knows the opponent going to attack, this means he forgot all his training got nerves and acts on his instinct.

Kicking/punching part of karate doesn’t make it offensive it is still a defensive art the only thing is to understand how to be defensive and successful. If you block an attack in one tempo and go for punch/kick in next tempo then yes you better attack first since you been late and behind in tempo just like chess. If we block with rear hand the leading hand has to do the striking in the same time. If we block with leading hand it has to be continued and extended to become a strike.

Other aspect I wanna talk about is conditioning , for a good karate ka strong abdomen/forearm/shin is a must. Unfortunately I rarely see a bone on bone conditioning , I have seen people after one year conditioning can block a bo strike efficiently. this is a part we have to do in every session of our practice.

I am not a expert in any way but I do have fate in defensive strategy of karate when it’s done right.