• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

its not always the chin, you can get knocked out from a blow pretty much anywhere to your head.

actually the forehead is a bad place to hit someone, if the person drops their chin and lets you punch the crown of the head youll probably break your knuckles.

Luckyboxer is right about striking to the forehead. I try to stay away from the forehead and the mouth. The mouth is a very dirty part of the body and his filled with sharp teeth just waiting to cut you up and spread dirty things into your blood stream, or chip your bones. The forehead is very hard that a 22 pistol might not even penatrate it so what makes you think your going to with your fist hahahaha.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

...it's been awhile since biology, but i think it's called the mental foramen.

on your chin, there are two holes called... i think... the mental foramen? right in your mandible. and nerves run through those wholes connecting to your brain, or tubes that run blood, or something to that end. anywho, when you hit those, you cut off the brains blood supply, and that's what causes the knock.

and about the crown thing, yeah, that was a bare knuckle boxing strategy from the 30's; try to break their knuckles on your forehead. i always thought that was kinda' cool :P

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

SevenStar hit the nail on the head up there. More specifically than trauma to the brain, trauma to the brain stem leads to an immediate temporary loss of motor function. Trauma to different parts of the brain have different effects, like vision (seeing stars). A sharp twist of the neck is the best way to cause trauma to the brain stem. Since the chin sticks so far out from the neck, it provides the most leverage for twisting the head.

The fact that it is a temporary loss of motor function makes it easy to understand why you may see fighters go down and get up before a 10 count, or get up after 10 but sometimes not seem all that hurt. Of course, if there is a lot more trauma than is needed to keep the fighter down for 10 seconds, they will stay down longer and seem much more dizzy when they get up.

Free online martial arts lessons at https://www.intellifight.com (updated regularly)!

• 1 month later...

Foreheads are to use for headbutting, not for targets.

Good remarks about trauma to the brain. The defining injury of the current war in Iraq is brain trauma. The body armor is so good now that people survive the frag but the force of the blast shakes them up so badly they suffer permanent brain damage.

Protect your head because "if you kill the head, the body will fall."

:karate:

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

The other bad part about strikes to the chin is the possibility of suffering jaw damage, especially to the joint. That is hard to recover from. It's amazing how much we take the ability to chew or talk with a pain-free jaw for granted.

:karate:

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.