• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Please help in finding the right karate style

Dr. Flem

Thought I might add that I've found anther Goju school. Although, the add doesn't specify wether it's Gojukai or Goju Ryu. It just says...

International Goju Karate Do (phone number etc)

I'll give em' a call when they're open again but I'm just curious....does this mean it's Goju Kai or Goju Ryu?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The GKR website lists katas needed for rank promotions, and the katas are all Goju Ryu and Shotokan forms, unless he changed them....Im not to happy about that "non-contact" karate as was said on the GKR website either....what does that mean ?.....how do you NOT have contact ?.....I dont know.....either way....you said you have a Goju Kai dojo 10 minutes walk.....go to all of them....and then see how they compare.....all teachers are different too....its not just about you going to class.....youre gonna develop a relationship of sorts with the teacher over time, so maybe you chose which dojo you go to because of how you "get along with", or "feel about" the instructor....any good dojo should let you at least sit in on, or actually participate in a few classes to see what you think....and it shouldnt cost anything either.....so beware of those dojos who are just looking to "sign you up" right away.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

The Shotokan school has an introductory lesson where they take me privately for $15. That's bad right? hehe

Anyway, yes, I will be looking around. I'll be trying different schools but if I suddenly find one I really like, I'm gonna stick with it.

I just wish that these damn holidays would be over with already. :(

Edited by Dr. Flem

For my money, I'd look whether the classes are varied or are the same. If they run the same class 2-3 times in a row you might presume that the next 52 weeks will be pretty much the same class also. But whether the first couple of classes are free or not doesn't matter to me, as long as I could try it out before paying any extra for membership or whatever.

;)

Mick

Paying $15 isnt really that bad....but you dont want a private lesson at this point....more important to get a feel for the class as a whole, its a totally different energy.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

I would look into the goju school. My experience with Shotokan has been that it leans more toward the sport aspect of martial arts. Your mileage may vary, so don't exclude Shotokan by any means. I would also like to add that I enjoy the sports aspect of martial arts, and have even considered studying Shotokan myself.

Some schools like to give a private lesson or two to new students so that they can integrate with the class a little better. The lesson fee probably plays a factor too, but I wouldn't shy away from the fifteen dollars if the school, instructor, and art seemed legit.

Matsumura Seito Shorin-Ryu

Both these styles are good and having trained in shotokan myself I disagree with the statemant that shotokan is more a sport than martial arts . There are great many clubs of any style including shotokan that are of poor quality which may not seem that obviuos to novice and public but that is not the style's fault , that goes back to the club .The best advice I can give you is to make a research in to the club and the instruction,you are gong to hopefully devote your time and effort and money in to this club so you must know if it is woth it .the shotokan that I have trained in is very close in its free fighting form to street combat and even kata training involved extensive application training with partner. But all of this is only possible after a few years of devoted basic training .There is no alternative and no short cut to mastering basics and mastering stances and moving with fluidity between stances.By buliding strong foundation,later on you can switch to any style you want and blend in easily ,or experience that for example your basketball has improved ! that foundation will serve you a lifetime!

never give up !