• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best advice...

aefibird

Aravis, the best way to find out about all 3 martial arts you listed would be to go and train in a couple of classes at each school. Then you can decide which would be the best for you.

Not the best advice...

it rele depends on ur age. if ur over like 17, dont do taekwondo because ull rele need 2 b flexible and its hard when ur older.

I started TKD when I was 35. Ask the teenagers and guys in their 20's at our dojang if that had me at a disadvantage against them. NOT. :lol:

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

Each of the arts you mention include many different styles.

Find a style that matches your body type be it tall, short, heavy, lanky, etc. IMO not all MA styles fit every body type.

Personality...are you aggressive or passive? If you find an art that matches you as an individual you'll have more fun, learn more and probably stay with it longer.

• 3 weeks later...

Most Karate has been extremely modernized, no longer with the devestating application it once had. You can still learn to use it with lethality, but it will take much longer. Go back to Karate's Chinese roots and learn the kung fu. Five animals would be a great style, Kung Fu wasn't crapified for the Japanese like Karate. It is in it's original, pure form.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

Learn a genuine form of Okinawan Karate, such as Matsumura Seito. Genuine Okinawan Karate is not watered down and maintains very effective applications.

Matsumura Seito Shorin-Ryu

I see you do Shorin ryu. If Chibana is in your lineage, I assure you your kata is not what it once was.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

• 8 months later...

ive studied A southern style of kung fu for 5 years now, i dont know if many of you out there have heard of it, its called Chi Kune jow do, basically its joinning both southern styles TONG LONG KUNE Mantis Fist and LO FU DO way of the tiger an have joined both southern styles into one

im also a brown belt in bujinkan ninjitsu, and am currently trainning in muay thai boxing ( 3 months trainning )

i believe that every martial arts where ever it has originated has its good principals an not so good, so visit many different martial arts, test the waters an see what best fits you, an dont believe the hype

KUNG Fu has both it soft an hard types of fighting in many of the styles,

so dont limit yourself to just one technique but become well rounded

good luck

Faith without works is merely a dream anticapated.

Muay thai boxing and

SOUTHERN STYLE KUNG FU PRACTIONER

SKIPSET ( NZ )

Hi,

Ok, to be honest, I think that the often-quoted 'rigid-circular', 'hard-soft' division in traditional karate styles is more artificial than a reflection of a true difference between the styles.

The complete traditional styles, use ALL of the ways to create force and take advantage of their opponents openings: linear movement, rotation, snap/whip, pushing, lifting, vibrating, etc etc etc in different techniques in their system.

I think it is a misrepresentation, for example, to say, 'goju-ryu is circular, while shotokan is linear'. They are both circular AND linear. If anything, the styles are different in the way they teach beginners, and this might be the reason they are perceived as different. Very few people become true experts in more than one art, so they tend to compare 'beginners' perspectives of different arts. If you look at true masters of supposedly 'linear' and 'circular' arts, (for example, Sensei Higaonna, and Sensei Nishiyama) you'll see that they look very similar in their movements, and they should as they come from the same place and want to arrive at the same place.

Osu!

gero

---

Nidan-Traditional Shotokan

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I know a ton of other people have said it, but it's completely true- go to the different dojos and watch a few classes. If it's a good school and you explain your situation, they'll invite you to join in a few activities. This could help a lot in deciding on a style. After class, you should talk to a sensei or a darker-belted student. They will be able to answer any questions you have and maybe give you some advice.

Hope I helped! :)

"A black belt is a white belt that never gave up."

I see you do Shorin ryu. If Chibana is in your lineage, I assure you your kata is not what it once was.

I'm curious..maybe I missed something...why is this

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt