• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

summer camp

username237

Yes, I learned a lot. It was good to train with other people from my association too, especially those from clubs at the other end of the country to me.

Summer camps can be a great experience and learning opportunity. I'm hoping to attend one run by Ticky Donovan (famous Isshinryu karateka and head of the England Karate Squad) this summer. A couple of friends from my dojo went to his camp last year and they had a blast (aside from the pre-brekfast 'fun' run!).

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They can be a great time if you plan some activities for everyone. It really helps to get to know the other students and the instructor as well.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

One of the better ways to learn in camps is to always be up front and always ask questions. I've only seen the camp in an organization other than mine once, but the one thing I really like about the camps in my organization is that they have so many talented instructors from around the country and sometimes from Okinawa or other places, that they can have numerous different sessions and topics going on at once (so you can pick and choose which things you want to learn). If you want just specifically to target basics and kata, you can do that, or you can do many other different topics.

Another great way to learn is to ask questions in between sessions. Just go up and respectfully ask any of the instructors about something (make it at least half-worthwhile though) and they will usually be happy to explain it and other things to you in depth.

The last camp I got to attend was great because we had visiting Okinawans and I got to translate for them at times.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Wow that would've been great. When we do a camp we always try to get someone special, as well.

- Sun-tzu

Ours are just over one weekend. But I've known some to be longer.

- Sun-tzu

FYI, here's a link to the ISKF (International Shotokan Karate Federation) Master camp: http://www.iskf.com/mastercamp/index.htm , it has pics and stuff and shows you what one camp can be like. of course two camps are not necessarily alike.

I'm going to try and attend the ISKF Mountain States camp this summer if I can get time off work.

If I had the cash, I'd go to the master camp alright.

- Sun-tzu