• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why did you start your martial art?

Kuk Sool Won because it offers so much and it is very traditional in the way it is taught respect plays a very important role as should any real MA. Plus I wanted to do something with my son and we are always watching some type of MA flick :lol:

What the superior man seeks is in himself; what the small man seeks is in others. - Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Karate , i wrote a long stroy about how i jumped from window with an umbrella and how it affected my MA. but i pushed a wrong key and lost all of it, i really feel tired beacuse of this. good day before i lose this one too.

I had bad asthma when I was a kid and generally sucked at other sports, a local TKD school came to my school when I was in 3rd grade and put on a demonstration...I was hooked!! I trained TKD for almost 8 years and then moved to a new town...no TKD to be found(imagine that!!!) BUT, I found an Isshin-Ryu school...at first I was very confused, complet oppisite style, but I stayed with it and fell in love....I have been there since...almost 15 years now.....man I feel old... :bawling:

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

• 2 weeks later...

Kuk Sool Won

I started it because I was just looking to find a deal on something I could use to get in shape, while I looked for a Hapkido or Aikido school.

I didn't know what KSW was (thought it was the Granmaster's name or something), but when I realized how comprehensive it was I never left.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

I started Modern Martial Arts in the 4th grade. I was there for a bout a year, and I think I originally joined there because my little brother was there and I absolutely refused to to allow him to be better than me at anything. Now, roughly 4 years later, I've joined the Eugue-Ryu style, which I love. If I have to miss a class, I practically go into mourning. My friend got me interested again, he was always going on about his dojo and his Sensei, and how interesting it was, and he used pressure points on us from time to time, to show us what he went through sometimes. During the summer we spent a bit of time together, and I started going to his school in July. I refuse to leave. I love the place, and we get a new dojo! Our Sensei knows what he's talking about, I like him a lot more than Master.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

I began Isshin-Ryu Karate when I was about 5 or 6. It was the only form of martial art available in my area. I have always been a very quick learner, and, from what I've been told, showed a great deal of maturity for my age. I was able to pay attention and stay quiet, which is more than I see out of a lot of children in the dojo today. I was a quick learner of both the physical aspects, and the mental. I was able to test for my yellow belt within the first two months, and I never looked back from there. I am very pleased with my instructor, he has been my sensei since I was 7. He has taught me some aikido along the way. Now, being 18, I can definitely say the journey has been worth it.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

I should probably post my reason for beginning since that was the question posed. I wanted to do some sort of activity. There weren't a lot of sports for kids my age, and boy scouts were kind of a sham in this area (small midwest town). So, I asked my parents if I could take karate. I was reading the paper with my father one day, and stumbled across an ad for a dojo a town over. When my parents were together, I asked if I could take lessons, and they agreed.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Shotokan here.

I started a year ago because I wanted to do something physical. I wanted exercise, which I had been doing on my own, but I also wanted to improve my balance and coordination and general awareness of how my body can move.

I thought I would enjoy (and I do) some of the japanese culture that a traditional school would offer.

I thought it would be great to have some sense of how to defend myself should it ever be necessary.

And, I was just curious about karate ever since I was in elementary school, and realized that I could give it a shot if I wanted to.

It's been quite a ride. Hard at times, but very rewarding so far.

----

Hmm. Hello. This is the floor. How did I get here?