• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

realistic training place

I think most people will agree that self defense techniques and concepts should also work in other places than the comfortable dojo/gym

My question is to people who train mainly for self defense reasons:

Who actually trains in places that simulate real life surroundings?

I mean a bed room, living room, dance floor office, toilets, corridor, car, public transit etc.? can you describe how it's done?

I do not mean just go train in your own living room cause you don't want to break your own stuff.

Second of all it should be suitable for instructing groups of people. So people should be able to see your demonstrations and have room to practise etc.

I wonder if you can create these type of environments and if this is worthwile to do so.

If you don't have any of this, how do you try to create a more realistic invironment in your training?

so vis pacem para bellum

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think this practice can be worth while but still limiting.

For example, if you practice in a living room, the things you would use in this situation will not directly apply to every other living room you find yourself in, due to the fact that basically no 2 living rooms are the same size or have the same stuff in them.

I think whats more important is your awareness and your ability to recognise objects that may help you if the need arises. So if find yourself in a bad situation you may take a quick look and see there is a table behind you, a great object to slam somebody into. But this not only applies to a table, it can apply to a wall, dumpster or other large solid object.

So you see how some forms of training transfers over to many situations while others do not.

But, in say that, if you really want to setup this kind of training environment i would suggest going out and looking for some old furniture (chairs, tables, lounges, anything you can get your hands on) and then finding a room with nothing in it and setting up a scenario in there. Unless your friends are willing to risk having there stuff wrecked.

Once again i would not waste to much time trying to find furniture and stuff.

We use to train in different environments kind of like what your talking about. Cross is right that if you train in one setting that even a similar setting is going to be different. The reason for changing your training environment is to give you an idea of what it could be like and it allows you to sense things differently, there are plenty of techniques that I love to do in an open area, but you stick me inbetween two pool tables and now my options go down. This type of training allows you to get a feel for that and lets you see what techniques might work better if your presented with a similar situation.

We use to do some training around pool tables, couches, coffee tables, side walks (with a curb around), cars, gravel, dirt, grass, sand, etc. We did not head out every class and train in these conditions bet every once in awhile we would head out so that everyone could get a feel for it. I'll tell you what training on loose gravel really changes things compared to a nice floor in a dojo.

Anyways as far as setting up a training environment say like at a dojo that would have different environments that would be pretty cool but also I think it could get pretty spendy if you wanted to do it right. And you still would need your nice open area because thats where basics should be learned first prior to advancing to the different environments

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

Who actually trains in places that simulate real life surroundings?... If you don't have any of this, how do you try to create a more realistic invironment in your training?

Me.

Get creative in finding places and setting things up. No one can give a 'how to' list that will apply to everyone.

Besides physical training, you can train your mind to look at your surroundings as a possible battleground. Just take inventory as you walk in a room. Look for obstacles, potential weapons, likely ambush points, etc.

...if you practice in a living room, the things you would use in this situation will not directly apply to every other living room you find yourself in, due to the fact that basically no 2 living rooms are the same size or have the same stuff in them.

Don't train for specific living rooms. Train for general environments. Train your mind to look and see the entire environment and its' combat implications. Learn to think instinctively in different environments, not to pull up a list of similar environments you've trained in and/or a list of things to do there.

Freedom isn't free!