• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I know I'm improving

Ant

depends on the style too. Shotokan is very simple to learn where Goju Ryu is a very deep/profound art.

Having seen and learned both Goju and Shotokan's katas, I cannot agree with that statement. The truth is, katas in both systems are simple to learn in terms of memorizing the correct sequence of the movements. However, to truly master (being able to reverse engineer the kata, apply it, perform it well) the kata, both styles require extensive training. By asserting that katas in shotokan are simple, I am afraid you are only looking at Katas in a superficial point of view.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

June 1

Not my idea...My Shihans....1000 days a beginner, 10000 days a master is a saying of Sosai Mas Oyama, the creator of Kyokushin Karate. As to practice makes perfect, an old saying indeed, but lets face facts, if you practice it wrong it is still wrong... In my dojo, the saying is Perfect Practice makes perfect....

Thanks for the replies.

I should have been more clear in my original post.

I meant learn the moves so the kata can be performed to an adequate standard for grading purposes.

It took me 2 months to learn Heian Nidan and 2 hours to learn Sandan, obviously I am drawing on the experienced gained during learning the previous 3 kata.

When we are taught a Kata we are shown the Bunkai at the same time and I suspect tonight we will practice the bunkai with oponents.

I am enjoying Karate ever so much.

Thanks for the replies.

I should have been more clear in my original post.

I meant learn the moves so the kata can be performed to an adequate standard for grading purposes.

It took me 2 months to learn Heian Nidan and 2 hours to learn Sandan, obviously I am drawing on the experienced gained during learning the previous 3 kata.

When we are taught a Kata we are shown the Bunkai at the same time and I suspect tonight we will practice the bunkai with oponents.

I am enjoying Karate ever so much.

Hang on.

Are you saying that in your opinion you were at grading standard 2 hours after learning a kata?

:dodgy:

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

In my opinion yes I was. Not to the standard I would want to go to a grading with, but I feel I could have passed.

There are only a couple of techniques that we haven't covered in our general classes over the last 9 months so it's not some amazing feat of martial arts skill, it's just stringing together what I have been toaught into a different order.

Obviously I have a LOT more work to do on it, but I honestly feel it is up to the standard I saw at the grading on Saturday.

In my opinion yes I was. Not to the standard I would want to go to a grading with, but I feel I could have passed.

There are only a couple of techniques that we haven't covered in our general classes over the last 9 months so it's not some amazing feat of martial arts skill, it's just stringing together what I have been toaught into a different order.

Obviously I have a LOT more work to do on it, but I honestly feel it is up to the standard I saw at the grading on Saturday.

That's cool. Different dojo have different criteria I guess. Kata and bunkai is very heavily concentrated on in my dojo so it takesa lot longer to know the kata to grading standard. However I think we are probably more lenient on the kumite side than other dojos may be. We do oyo as a major part of our grading too - and if some of the retaliations aren't recognizable kata moves you may have an oral test on bunkai as well.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

I grade outside of my dojo in the main JKA grading (about 5 clubs take part).

From what I can gather, Kihon carries a huge amount of importance, the kata the next (just the performance) and then the Kumite. This may not be correct but from listening to the comments made to other students on why they didn't pass etc

I am lucky in that I am physically fit, did Karate for several years as a kid and have good balance/co-ordination.

I think I have the system within myself now to string together moves I know with ease.

The difficulty comes from the bunkai, the smoothness and actually understanding the Kata.

For me it really is about the journey rather than the destination, but by learning quicker I can see more on my journey than I would be able to otherwise :)

Doing a kata 3 times a day for a year is a great idea. Just think about how amazing it'll be at the end of that year.

A thousand kata is a good start, I agree. And practicing your kata every day is a very good idea - I wish you much luck and fun with your new 3-kata-a-day plan :). Please understand that I don't want to dampen your spirit, but even after 1000 repetitions the kata will probably not be 'amazing'. I'm aiming for 5000 at the moment, and while I'm almost halfway by numbers, my kata is nowhere near amazing, I'd say it's not even adequate, yet. I still get so frustrated, and then so elated when I 'get' something. But do your 3 kata a day for a few years, and you'll reach 'amazing' eventually :karate:

And yes, practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. That's why 'bad' kata don't count. :P

From my experience, bunkai is usually not deeply emphasized at the kyu levels. Many have argued that to be able to come up with alternative applications requires the student to have a lot of experience. In some cases, knowledge from other fields (such as Judo) is benefitical.

Kane!

Thank you for that great post. Yes, I think I will make my 3-kata-a-day plan one of my new year's resolutions.

As for what you said about it not being amazing... After thinking about it, I think you're absolutely right. But 1000 sure is a good start! :) Good luck to you on reaching 5000. Hope the last one is one of your very, very best!

Finally, with regards to the "practice makes perfect" comment (and this is also directed to Osu No Seichin), I definitely agree that the kata must be correct in order to begin regular practice. In no way was I trying to imply that no matter what your kata looks like, you should practice it anyway.

Thanks to you both for your insight!

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."