• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anyone do shukokai?

Highler

test

Edited by Highler

'The cat taught the tiger everything he knows. One day the tiger turned on the cat and the cat ran up a tree. That was the one thing the cat never taught the tiger.'

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Congratulations guys you've succeeded in confusing me :D

I studied shotokan for a couple of years (got my purple) but then had to change styles due to geography. I studied Wado for a while and now do JKA shotokan.

I found and still find it hard to adapt to the different hip motion in shotokan, so I must be doing something different. However I can't recognise this double hip as you guys describe it.

No matter which style I used, my hip has always moved anti-clockwise when throwing a right reverse punch (that is my the right point of my pelvis moves forward while the left either stays still or moves back a little).

In shokukai I was taught to push with the back leg to start off, let this motion move to my hip so the right side swung forwards , then let the momentum carry through the rotation of my shoulder behind my fist. So that power is brought up from the ground and amplified through the hip and shoulder. I felt I got quite a bit of power from this though my shoulders weren't square, though it took practise to learn how to keep the posture so you don't over extend and lose it.

In Shotokan I push from the back leg as before, however the hip seems to shunt forwards and then back in a fast motion, pushing out the punch but then returning square, and the shoulders don't move.

So somewhere along the lines I'm either wrong or just very confused. There was no clockwise movement behind the punch until throwing the other hand. It felt more poerful the first way though

Mind, body and fist. Its all a man truly needs.