• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anyone do shukokai?

Highler

I've just started doing shukokai and it doesn't seem as popular as other styles of karate.

Does anyone else practice shukokai?

:D

'The cat taught the tiger everything he knows. One day the tiger turned on the cat and the cat ran up a tree. That was the one thing the cat never taught the tiger.'

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokai or Shotokan?

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

Shotokai or Shotokan?

Neither. I do Shukokai. It's meant to be very similar to Shito-Ryu

'The cat taught the tiger everything he knows. One day the tiger turned on the cat and the cat ran up a tree. That was the one thing the cat never taught the tiger.'

Yep i do shukokai, i see your a resident of Scotland as well, what club do you belong to? There are one or two other shukokai people here, jax_evolution for example.

Does your club do workable bunkai? What school of thought regarding the 'double hip' does your school do, tani or kimura?

:karate:

Mijukumono ga! Warawaseru na!

You could be in a kimura influenced club then which is VERY good! My one piece of advice to you in your studying would be to learn all you can about the 'double hip' which our style is so well known for as it's the closest thing probably to a waveform, probably the most powerful delivery system in the martial arts and similar in some ways to internal martial arts energy transfer. So in short, if your instructor doesn't go in2 much detail about it...do as i do and pester the hell out of him to know all you can!

You could be in a kimura influenced club then which is VERY good! My one piece of advice to you in your studying would be to learn all you can about the 'double hip' which our style is so well known for as it's the closest thing probably to a waveform, probably the most powerful delivery system in the martial arts and similar in some ways to internal martial arts energy transfer. So in short, if your instructor doesn't go in2 much detail about it...do as i do and pester the hell out of him to know all you can!

About this double hip twist. Sensei has showed us it and i do believe it gives more power. But i was reading some posts and came across a site called karatetips.com and i read a bit about the hip twist being ineffective and wondered if you could take a wee look at this link and see what you think! - http://www.karatetips.com/ebooks/killerkata.asp

Was agreeing with everything that guy was saying up until the 'pay for my secret technique' bit. Granted what he was saying is mostly correct, however i'm always extremely wary of things like that.

To sum up, he is correct in saying that most styles use the hips like a revolving door, which is simply nonsense for producing power. Our 'double hip' is easier explained by imagining a normal door, essentially only one hip is driving forward. It is called the double hip because we keep 1 hip in it's place, ie the door frame where it joins onto the wall and this is counted as the first hip, it's in place. The 'double' part of the hip s where the other drives forward without or with minimal movement of the other hip.

I hope you can get what i'm trying to get across here, if you want, go to https://www.peterconsterdine.com and order the video/dvd, power strike. Peter consterdine is famous for being a really hard hitter and he does shukokai, he also is buddies with Russell Stutely who in my opinion is the main guy for waveforms, ie damn hard strikes.

Hope you got something from that, any more questions on the 'double hip', i'll do my best to answer, i'm not great at it myself however.

• 2 weeks later...

abcd

Edited by Highler

Sounds like you are a member of Dusty Millers club,Trained with him a long time ago in the early 70's at the kobe osaka.

really nice guy then and so was his then girlfriend and now wife carol.

All the best at your club and your instructor is one of the best at Shukokai and he is doing it not for the money but for the love of Karate.

Unlike certain other nameless people who had clubs in the early 70's.

Regards