• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so did McDonald Sensei come up with it?

That's what I said; Bill McDonald developed it.

I trained under one of his students, Mick Smith, briefly, and then lost contact with him before I ever learned anything about the history. There is precious little online about it, and to the best of my knowledge Sensei McDonald doesn't have a web page.

Now I'm learning Kenpo, and the similarities have peaked my curiosity as to the history of my old art.

well I really can't say much about your old style,but kenpo is pretty cool.What style of kenpo is it?

I'm pretty new at it, so I don't know a lot yet. Our teacher is Mike Friedman, and his teachers have included Manny Reyes Sr. and Tony Young. The school web page is http://www.championkaratefl.com .

I don't want to throw around buzzwords like "Parker style vs. Tracy style" and sound like I know what I'm talking about when I don't, so I won't.

:karate:

• 10 months later...

Wow, how much has changed since I first posted this thread.

The history on my school is this:

It was first owned by Benn Cohen. When he went off to Hollywood, he sold it to Walter Somerville. Walter hired Mike Friedman as an instructor, and then later sold the school to him.

Walter's brother Tom still teaches Kenpo in the Orlando area, at Jeff Speakman's chain school.

As for Mike, his teacher was Manny Reyes Sr., who studied directly under Grandmaster Parker.

As the avatar shows, I'm now an orange belt, and working hard for my purple. I'm proud to say I met my goal of "orange before 40", albeit only barely due to six weeks out with a broken toe, which happened the night I got my yellow belt.

Man, even when there is a comparison between two styles distinct form shotokan, the shotokan-bashing doesnt stop.

Anyone who is advanced enoguh knows that the essence of all the three traditional karate lines is very similar and all the techinques convered in any one of them are covered in the other two as well, they are just learned in different order.

Tunnel vison: That's what kills the essence of traditional karate.

Ossu!

Gero

It's all about the instructor/orgin of the style. If you have ever seen Morio Higaonna (Okinawa Go Ju Ryu) or Toshiro Osgiro (Shorin-Ryu) move you would be mind boggled at how skilled they are. They are both TRUE Masters of the martial arts yet Shorin ryu is linear for a reason, Oshiro Sensei told me that it was developed to fight against the Japanese swordsman when Japan took over Okinawa and took all their weapons away. It's something that you cannot compare, they are both great arts as all arts but they have a purpose/reason they were developed the way they did. Good Luck, Don

pain is weakness leaving the body.....moo ichi do.......A black belt is a white belt that did not give up.