• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Edged weapon (eg knife) defences

kickcatcher

See main post. If you use/learn more than one, which is best?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. See main post. If you use/learn more than one, which is best?

• Deflect and counter
    • Intercept and grab wrist for lock
    • Arm-wrap elbow control

personally id try to get in close and get control of that knife hand, but thats only if i cant take the option of giving him my money or running the hell away. no matter what though, youll probably get hurt. try this- get someone, even a kid, with a marker, and try to get it from them, and see how many marks you get on you while doing it.
I've done this is class several times and it works pretty good. Have everybodey in class wear black clothing that day..pants and shirt (preferrably long sleeved) and buy some sidewalk chaulk at the local WalMart. Have one person try as hard as they can to stab you with it.

Also, I would not try to take a knife away from an attacker as the first move on my part. Defend, parry and counbter a knife attack...and then, if you see an opening to get the knife away from your attacker, then do it. but as a first defense...not a good idea. Backfist him in the nose or jaw, or low kick to the groin or knee first to stun them if you can...it's a very fast technique.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To anyone who has not trained with dummy blades and at full speed with expeiranced knife or blade practicioners, RUN. Knife fighting like you point fighters use faints, misdirection, and bait their targets, if you dont understand what I am saying RUN. There is no shame in survival.

Survivor

• 3 weeks later...

The pics on page one are great, they are all effecting the person balance except maybe for the first one. The major thing to keep in mind is in order to counter the knife and control the attacker you have to control the attacker balance first. The lock won't work if you don't take their balance. Balance means they are stable enough to wiggle out or counter attack. Balance, balance, balance. Locks don't work unless you understand this. Attack the balance.

By the way, Street Fighter what style do you study?

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Treebranch, I study and have studied concepts,(What we believe makes the different style effective not ness. the whole system) of the different Filipino styles of blade and stick fighting and some ground fighting from the islands, Kinu mutai, the base of my ground is ground Chin-Na, it is much like BJJ but we fancy ourselves as strikers first, a blend of Tai, San Shou, Western Boxing, Wing tsun,and JKD. We or I are looking for what works best for the individual and working on that for each student and by introducing so many things most can find something that seems to fit them, now that is for local students, for contract work we have put together programs that we feel are the most benificial for the group that we will be working with be that military, law enforcement, or security, we try and not to get lost in each organisations protocols we just teach what we know best, street level fighting and let them discern what they can and cannot employ. Well thats a little about me. Some have said that we are just jacks of the trade and masters of none, I do not look at it the same as those folks I like to think we are trying to be well rounded. Hey thats just me. :D

Survivor

Treebranch, I study and have studied concepts,(What we believe makes the different style effective not ness. the whole system) of the different Filipino styles of blade and stick fighting and some ground fighting from the islands, Kinu mutai, the base of my ground is ground Chin-Na, it is much like BJJ but we fancy ourselves as strikers first, a blend of Tai, San Shou, Western Boxing, Wing tsun,and JKD. We or I are looking for what works best for the individual and working on that for each student and by introducing so many things most can find something that seems to fit them, now that is for local students, for contract work we have put together programs that we feel are the most benificial for the group that we will be working with be that military, law enforcement, or security, we try and not to get lost in each organisations protocols we just teach what we know best, street level fighting and let them discern what they can and cannot employ. Well thats a little about me. Some have said that we are just jacks of the trade and masters of none, I do not look at it the same as those folks I like to think we are trying to be well rounded. Hey thats just me. :D

Same here bro. My base comes from all over the place. The point is to train the mind and body to adapt to any given situation.

As for knife defense, I am with Treebranch. Your first step is to attack the balance of your opponent. But remember, if you get into a fight in which a blade is drawn expect to be cut. At that point, your prime objective is to disarm your opponent while MINIMIZING the damage to yourself.

SiK---Joshua

There are no limits.

Well said Daeinwolf. Budo Taijutsu has 9 schools of fighting under one umbrella. The Taijutsu just teaches you how to use your body effectively and efficiently. All the schools teach you different technique, strategies and such. Once your Taijutsu is good you can customize things to fit you. There is so much to learn that you can never learn it all, but dedicating yourself to this type of system it becomes your life style. You can use your Taijutsu everyday.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"