Nerves in grading.

AngelaG

As you progressed through the grades did your nerves get:  

22 members have voted

1. 1. As you progressed through the grades did your nerves get:

• Worse
    • Better
    • Stay the same

My nerves still flare up before a grading. Nothing crazy, just anxious to get going. I try to channel that adrenaline into my performance, using it to make my moves stronger and more defined.

Every timely action will bring results ... Without difficulty. Every untimely endeavor will fail ... If the moment is premature or if the right moment is missed. - The Tree Poem

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

During the last grading I did (which was my second), I had to grade in front of the chief instructor of our school. All of the kyu gradings took place in front of him that afternoon - we all had to watch each other grade! So there were dozens of people. I was OK until he called me out and corrected my technique in front of everybody else - which made me extremely nervous for the rest of the test. I passed, but I felt like I had scraped through.

Not nice, and I'm not looking forward to the next one. Still, he says that you should know a technique so well that you shouldn't be affected by nerves! I guess there's something in that - after all, if someone attacks you on the street you won't have time to go to pieces.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

Good luck for when you next grade Fish.

I hope that you don't have an attack of the nerves again - I know how bad that can be and how it can affect your karate. :(

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

In a good dojo , students gradually improve their skills of karate and that improves their self-confidence and they learn to relax more while training in order to gain speed and agility ,therefore they will be less nervous the more they train under a good instructer.

never give up !