• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anyone, in fact, can acquire a business license, purchase a black belt, rent studio space and, to the unwitting public.

Generally, 4th dan I believe is when you are considered an "expert" in TKD and 7th through 9th is composed of TKD masters... the elite who fully understand all the particulars of Tae kwon do, mental and physical, although 1st degree -3rd are quite capable and knowledgeable to offer instruction within a school or club.

ITF/TKD Black Belt (1st dan)/Fitness Kickboxing Instructor

(KarateForums Sensei)

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-01-16 07:04 ]

True. I would not train at any dojo unless I knew that the instructor was qualified. My sensei is a 7th dan in Goju Ryu karate. He has earned the rank of Master (shihan) He is in the hall of fame with the instructor of the year award. Yeah he's qualified. But he still trains under his original master. That way he is always getting better. :karate:

Boards don't hit back.

-Bruce Lee

Kuk Sool Won allows you to open a club/school once you've made 1st degree. I think the philosophy is that its so comprehensive, they feel you know the basics well enough to teach them.

However, in order to claim it to be a KSW school, you have to teach the same material, in the same order, in the same way. This is in the contract as you apply for a school license. If you're found to be twisting things around your own way, yada yada, you can be stripped of both your school license and your rank.

I kind of like this strict regulation. I was able to move from Houston, TX up to Connecticut and find all the students learning in almost exactly the same way.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

I think my instructor started the schol just before he got his 4th degree...I didn't join until he was testing for 5th degree.

What does it matter! Is he/she a good teacher? Do you like the things you are learning? Even 5th, 6th, 7th...degrees are constantly learning. TKD is a never ending process.

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!