• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tension in kata

jedimc

as for my kata they all have been made up by my sensei and maybe a few were ones from his previous dojo.

:)

He made up your kata???

Nothing wrong wth that, so long as he doesn't claim that they are a series of ancient kata long lost to modern civilization which he was taught be a shaolin monk who believed him to be the one man spirited enough to carry on the ancient wisdom.

Somewhere down the line, every kata was made up by somebody.

no its nothing ancient, its more from the dinosaur age , joking, he made it up becuase he made up his own style but try to keep it a tradiotional japanese style, the techniques are documented from many styles.

http://jedimc.tripod.com/ma.html - what MA do you do, this is my poll.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Just be aware that full tension (real dynamic tension) throughout a whole kata can raise your blood pressure by 20 points or more.

If you are susceptable to high bp, don't do it, :(

I heard somewhere that there was medical proof that constantly doing high tension kata could lead to severe medical problems. Apparently there was a higher case of bowel cancer amongst people that regularly practiced kata like Sanchin.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

Angela, Mark bishop in his book says something in this line but he seems to be very biassed infavor of shuri-te, I don't believe that japanise never done a study about this ,i am gonna go and do some research about shime in medical papers.

Just be aware that full tension (real dynamic tension) throughout a whole kata can raise your blood pressure by 20 points or more.

If you are susceptable to high bp, don't do it, :(

I heard somewhere that there was medical proof that constantly doing high tension kata could lead to severe medical problems. Apparently there was a higher case of bowel cancer amongst people that regularly practiced kata like Sanchin.

wow, eh we all gonna die oneday, but hopefully our kata wont kill us lol

http://jedimc.tripod.com/ma.html - what MA do you do, this is my poll.

good articles...I'm just starting to learn Sanchin. I've heard some stories of people breaking boards over karateka performing Sanchin "full force", without them breaking their stride. Has anybody else heard of these stories? How valid do you think they are?

"Pain is weakness leaving the body".....my Makiwara tells me so.

May not be board breaking, but it was still Impressive.

I'm afraid I don't know the name for it, but the practice sticks used in Kendo, is what my Sensei was hit with, you can adjust the tightness on them from loose so they make that nice cracking noise or very tight so they just make a twak or thud noise. This one (judging from the noises made) was tight and was used to hit my Sensei while he was doing sanchin. He didn't even seem to notice, almost like he was elsewhere when he was doing the kata. I can't know the actual power of the strikes but they were fast and looked clean.