• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

grading

Garyu

it's true though, I look like a wasp! :o And i'm the only yellow belt in our class with the black gi (everyone wears the 'regular' white gi's, the black ones represent those of us taking extra classes for leadership and life skills) so the others in white gi's keep teasing me about it. Just wait till I get my orange! haha :idea: :brow:

We don't test for our power stripes, it's more of a continual assessment by the instructor throughout the classes, and we get given them when we've nailed said skill. And we don't need all the stripes to get the next belt, i didn't get any between white and red, went straight to red belt. Only got my yellow and red stripes before i got my yellow belt last week... 8)

Same with the lower belt grades, until about orange/black stripe the gradings are fairly informal as well...grading week we just go through all the skills for the next grade - the instructor reads out the list of skills one by one, and we do them. if it's satisfactory the week after testing week we get given our next belt :)

Feel free to pop down south to Gloucestershire if you like and pick up a blue belt :lol: technically our style is Shotokai, but as i've said in another thread, some of our stances are based more in street-fighting/boxing.

I say that the academy should ditch the black stripes, and replace them with purple :D

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Feel free to pop down south to Gloucestershire if you like and pick up a blue belt :lol:

Thanks for the info!

Yup, if I'm ever in the Gloucestershire area I'll be sure to come in for a blue belt! Feel free to join us for a purple belt if you're ever anywhere near South Yorkshire! :) :D :lol:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

The way we do it in my dojo is as follows:

10th white belt

9th white belt with 1 green tip / white belt with 1 yellow tip for children

8th white belt with 2 green tips / yellow belt for children

7th white belt with 3 green tips / yellow belt with 1 green tip for children

6th green belt

5th green belt with 1 brown tip

4th green belt with 2 brown tips

3rd brown belt with 1 black tip

2nd brown belt with 2 black tips

1st brown belt with 3 black tips

and black belts...

We do that for the kids to give them a greater sense of accomplishment

("tip" meaning a small 1/2 inch wide piece of cloth that gets sown onto the ends of your belt, multiple tips being spaced out 1/2 inch apart)

"Pain is weakness leaving the body".....my Makiwara tells me so.