• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kempo: Good OTM

delta1

The latest OTM illustrates something I've tried to explain before, but probably didn't do too good a job of it.

One of the reasons American Kenpo has multiple techniques for the same basic attacks is the possible variables that can occur in the basic attack. For a short clip, he gives a pretty good illustration of the answer.

http://www.unitedparkerskenpo.com/Onthemat.html

Feel free to ask questions or to make observations!

Freedom isn't free!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

ahhh the famous what ifs....

as in..

I am teaching a student how to defend and counter say a left roundhouse...

and he comes up with his endless list of what ifs...

what if hes taller/smaller/your back is against a wall/ your pinned/ etc etc etc....

at least thats what I am reading out of your post.

The best way i have found to answer that to students is...

this is teaching you to defend specifically against this type of an attack, under these specifics circumstances.

other circumstances, and attacks will come later down the road, or the lessons will be learned in other techniques.

As students spend time in the system and learn what is being taught.... and i mean the principles and theory, not just regurgitating memorized body movements with no idea why they do it, they will learn the answers as to how it will change depending on the situations variables...

I have to hook up my sound to my computer before i can figure out whats said in that clip... probably another day or two :)

ahhh the famous what ifs....

As students spend time in the system and learn what is being taught.... and i mean the principles and theory, not just regurgitating memorized body movements with no idea why they do it, they will learn the answers as to how it will change depending on the situations variables...

This is what AK is designed to teach- the what ifs'. The techniques are a base to teach principles, concepts, and their application. We start with the 'dojo grab', but as we work on the technique we explore those 'what ifs' '. This is also the reason for having more than one technique for the same type grab. It may be a hammer lock, but how you react to it depends on how it is applied, from what direction, and the direction he moves you. The idea isn't just to learn several techniques so you can react no matter how the hammer lock is applied. You should have a good enough feel for the differences to be able to respond with something (not necessarily a recognizable technique) no matter how he applies the hold.

So, you are on the right track, even without sound!

Freedom isn't free!

Well said. This is exactly the end result which is MAs that can think, or better yet, react for themselves in any kind of situation. Understanding the principles is the key.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

This is exactly the end result which is MAs that can think, or better yet, react for themselves in any kind of situation. Understanding the principles is the key.

Red, how does Shaolin Kempo work on the principles and concepts? In AK we have studies as well as work outs. Weave to know our definitions, and have a working knowlege of how each principle works. Then on the mat the instructors will drill us with questions while we work. They'll ask things like 'What is the major power principle in this technique,' or 'Why is there a pause at this point?'

Not being able to attend a class regularly, I miss out on a lot of this drilling, so I have to get my knowlege from other sources (books, other systems that I've worked out with, and just a lot of brain exercise). So I'm allways open to hearing how the other guy does it.

As far as thinking and reacting for ourselves, I agree with both you and Lucky. We think things through in workouts so that we understand them better and also train our minds to work in specific ways. We work them physically to become proficient with the movements and to get a good feel for these moves as applied under force. The marriage of the two is refined instincts, what we use when it counts.

Freedom isn't free!

Luckyboxer, in the clip when Mr. Ryer worked with Captured Leaves, he gave a couple of good examples of how this might be applied. We practice this in the base mode for a Chinese Finger Lock applied as the opponent walks by you from the rear and on your right. His left hand grabs the fingers of your right hand and raises your hand & arm. He steps in front with his right, and as your arm comes up to chin level his right pinches a pressure point on your right forearm. It will definately stand you up on your toes!

What other scenarios does your school use for this one?

Some of the changeups we practice involve reaching over your right wrist to counter grab his left instead of reaching under and through.

Another good one is to step up the circle with your left instead of cutting in front, so that you are side to side and facing the same direction with the counter wrist grab (under & through) in place. Don't raise his arm up over your shoulder, but instead anchor your left elbow, forcing your shoulder into his upper arm as you leverage his arm back. Be careful if you try this, as it doesn't take a lot of pressure to dislocate his shoulder here. You can move him around pretty easily from here, or you could go into an arm bar or an elbow break.

Have you got any interesting changups for any of these techniques?

Freedom isn't free!

Red, how does Shaolin Kempo work on the principles and concepts?

Well we learn set techniques and combinations of moves. These combinations all have major principles attached to them which are discussed as appropriate. As you advance you learn variations of each for different kinds of attacks and different sizes of attackers. The real application of principle comes when we do self defense techniques that we have to make up on our own. We call these "kempos". The instructor will give us the scenario, have someone attack, and we have to defend using techniques from the principles that he wants to see demonstrated. Many times the principles are associated with the 5 animals which stress different kinds of mind sets. This is especially true on tests.

I'll give you more later. Gotta run.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.