• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Favorite response to a hook punch...

a hook hardly is hardly ever used in isolation and as such, to train 'against' as such is never truely going to be an indication of how to deal with one.

too many what ifs.

what if the hook was to draw a response and he has his faced covered, leaving his free hand ready to duck+weave and shoot an uppercut?

what if as you step back he follows and throws a jab/cross or heck, even another hook on the other side?

you have boxing listed in your profile so you know better than most about how a hook is used.

best way to deal witha hook is to practice against a partner using appropriate gear and see what works best for you.

the general things that most people have talked about is that

i) you seek to disrupt the power base of the technique (in this case, shoulder, elbow or even hip)

ii) you make some kind of move to the opposite side of the hook to attempt to prevent follow up and to aid disrupt the flow/direction of the hook

iii) try to get into his actual structural base i.e stance although this is more to prevent follow ups as a proper hook is from a grounded stance anyway.

i.e if he is throwing a hook, it is too late to prevent it by disrupting his stance.

bingo.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you guys saying when he throws the hook, smash inside of him and attempt to uproot/break his structure?

So, attacking while he is attacking as well (provided that you cover as well, probably).

Are you guys saying when he throws the hook, smash inside of him and attempt to uproot/break his structure?

So, attacking while he is attacking as well (provided that you cover as well, probably).

Yes.

System - the martial art that you study and

practice

Style - the way you execute the system

Wing Chun - hit hard, hit fast, hit first!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lol, a strait punch is faster than a hook no matter which way you look at it. But if someone threw one at me, i would block it, wrap my arm around the attackers, pull up, (a standing shoulder lock i think.....) and palm heel into the chest. I did that same move at a tournament once.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

wing chun style.. jam it up w/ a turning step + tan... punch to the chin as hard as possible

"They look up, without realizing they're standing in the palm of your hand"

"I burn alive to keep you warm"

bob and weave, get outside punch but remain in distance, continue by parrying his attacking arm and chain punch the hell out of his now opened side, or drop elbows.

"It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up." - Muhammad Ali

Lol, a strait punch is faster than a hook no matter which way you look at it. But if someone threw one at me, i would block it, wrap my arm around the attackers, pull up, (a standing shoulder lock i think.....) and palm heel into the chest. I did that same move at a tournament once.

but how would you block it?

a properly executed hook thrown by a boxer is incredibly short range AND the way it travels you will not be able to get a wrap on it as it arcs in front of you

i.e there is no straight arm for you to wrap against not to mention that the hook is most probably going to be followed by something else if it misses.

straight punch is not always faster than a hook.

it might be true that a straight line is the shorter distance but how fast it is is down to the guy punching. don't confuse one truth with another.

wing chun style.. jam it up w/ a turning step + tan... punch to the chin as hard as possible

doesn't quite work like that; a hook is thrown very close to the body with the tow of you at very close distance. it is very hard to tan sau a hook beucase of the too short gap as well the very very short arc. The hook is almost a sideways strike that the tan sau doesn't deal with properly unless you over commit to stopping it with a tan sau which in turn leaves you open on the other side which in turn leads to you playing catch-up. if you insist on trying to catch it, you might be better off shooting a hok bong or even a simple biu sau to just get in the way.

The first move on the mok jong works well for a hook punch.

what is the first move on your dummy form?

in mine, i step to the opposite side and tan sau from under bridge to dummy's outside and do a high palm. can't see this working against a hook because as i said before, if he can execute a hook, i'd be too close to try and step to his outside gate on his aggessive side.

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.