• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Favorite response to a hook punch...

Anyways what it is is an outward block/strike thingy. . . they throw a sau or a hook, and before they can get enough power, you throw out the cheun.

Shoot your arm outwards at about a 45 degree angle, striking his wrist/forearms with your own forearms. Your hand should be an open palm facing outwards, and you should be able to easily shift and twist your wrist as to grab, seize, pull, etc.

The bridging and controlling is crucial. Once you make the bridge connection, close the gap, jam his legs and start the work (for the Southern guys).

I was trying variations of this with a bujutsu sparring buddy of mine. I threw the right hook. He did what's described above then with his other fist hammered a glancing blow to my bicep and down to my bent forearm. It nearly pulled my shoulder out of its socket and put an S bend in my neck. The arm was useless. He then applied a wrist lock pushing my elbow to the floor. It was all over red rover. I was very surprised at the effectiveness of the trap and the blow.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something we talked about over at MAP a little while ago was the response to a straight, centerline punch. There were quite a few replies and personally it's something I find straight forward to deal with.

However I'm not sure about a hook punch (and no, not posting here to fight a battle over there ;)) As I understand it a real, boxing hook is thrown from head butt range...fighting range for Wing Chun, but I don't know how to deal with it really.

I'll be asking Sifu tonight, but I was also wondering what you guys had to say from different styles and perspectives :)

There are many good posts here already, and truthfully, it probably depends on ones own training, style, and type of fighter one is. But I'd just like to offer a couple of ideas:

1) Why would I let a guy get in head butting range? (All my thoughts are for street combat--in the ring, you're on you're own :-) ). If he's already got his hands up, or some other way signalling a fight is imminent, I willl probably strike first, fast, and hard to end the danger (my Kung Fu San Soo training).

2) Specifically, dealing with a hook, I might choose one of two general options:

A hook is a circular blow (albeit a short, fast , probably well-practiced circle), and Ed Parker taught us that a line defeats a circle (My Kenpo training). So,

(a), I'd move forward: interfere with the hook via a knife hand block, cutting block, etc. and throw a linear counter with opposite hand (palm heel to his nose; open tiger mouth or even lepard paw to his throat);

(b) I'd move back, out of his range, and throw a front kick (ball kick to belly, snap kick to groin, side kick to lower leg, etc.).

Add finishing technique as needed.

Hope this helps.

Best, HW

'Do not do injury, if you can possibly avoid it.' --Tielo, 6th Century

'A man, as long as he teaches, learns.' -- Seneca

The way I would deal with a hook punch if it was at my head.I would raise my elbow to up toshoulder level or a little higher and use the point of the elbow to block struck his arm while at the same time counter with the other hand and strick to the head or throat..

http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

"When the student is ready the master will appear"

a hook hardly is hardly ever used in isolation and as such, to train 'against' as such is never truely going to be an indication of how to deal with one.

too many what ifs.

what if the hook was to draw a response and he has his faced covered, leaving his free hand ready to duck+weave and shoot an uppercut?

what if as you step back he follows and throws a jab/cross or heck, even another hook on the other side?

you have boxing listed in your profile so you know better than most about how a hook is used.

best way to deal witha hook is to practice against a partner using appropriate gear and see what works best for you.

the general things that most people have talked about is that

i) you seek to disrupt the power base of the technique (in this case, shoulder, elbow or even hip)

ii) you make some kind of move to the opposite side of the hook to attempt to prevent follow up and to aid disrupt the flow/direction of the hook

iii) try to get into his actual structural base i.e stance although this is more to prevent follow ups as a proper hook is from a grounded stance anyway.

i.e if he is throwing a hook, it is too late to prevent it by disrupting his stance.

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

Anyways what it is is an outward block/strike thingy. . . they throw a sau or a hook, and before they can get enough power, you throw out the cheun.

Shoot your arm outwards at about a 45 degree angle, striking his wrist/forearms with your own forearms. Your hand should be an open palm facing outwards, and you should be able to easily shift and twist your wrist as to grab, seize, pull, etc.

The bridging and controlling is crucial. Once you make the bridge connection, close the gap, jam his legs and start the work (for the Southern guys).

I was trying variations of this with a bujutsu sparring buddy of mine. I threw the right hook. He did what's described above then with his other fist hammered a glancing blow to my bicep and down to my bent forearm. It nearly pulled my shoulder out of its socket and put an S bend in my neck. The arm was useless. He then applied a wrist lock pushing my elbow to the floor. It was all over red rover. I was very surprised at the effectiveness of the trap and the blow.

Yeah, it's very simple and effective. It's even better with straight punches, especially from karatekas, since most of them fully extend their punches, and don't pull back fast enough. Plus, you see them coming from a mile away.

Hooks can be a bit tricky because they tend to have alot of power put. No matter, if you have conditioned forearms it should be him who's in pain.

Something we talked about over at MAP a little while ago was the response to a straight, centerline punch. There were quite a few replies and personally it's something I find straight forward to deal with.

However I'm not sure about a hook punch (and no, not posting here to fight a battle over there ;)) As I understand it a real, boxing hook is thrown from head butt range...fighting range for Wing Chun, but I don't know how to deal with it really.

I'll be asking Sifu tonight, but I was also wondering what you guys had to say from different styles and perspectives :)

Chin cue bridge the hook punch above the elbow having the opponent smash his/her bicep muscle, tendon against the bridge. Straight punch to the sternum. Done correctly opponent will colapse.

• 3 weeks later...

Favorite response implies the response you like to use, does not necessarily mean the best. Not sure about a favorite response to a hook punch, but the correct response in relation to the system of Wing Chun should be:

1. Hook to the head - Biu da (simultaneaous biu sau and punch)

2. Hook to the body - gan da (simultaneous gan sau and punch)

No wanting to sound arrogant, but using a tan sau or a bong sau will allow the punch to come right around the forearm on tan sau, or over the elbow in bong sau. Of course, you should also shift (or use) your hip as you execute the biu da.

However, your results may vary.

Edited by ZepedaWingChun

System - the martial art that you study and

practice

Style - the way you execute the system

Wing Chun - hit hard, hit fast, hit first!

opponent:right hook

my answer:left cross

opponent:left hook

my answer:right cross

Not saying it'll end the fight but I like to keep it simple

There is no teacher but the enemy.

just us ea straight punch if your faster than him you will hit him before he has hit you therefore stopping his attck

have you tried to hit someone while being hit it is very difficult

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.