• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Favorite response to a hook punch...

You don't even need to "jam" his attack. If your guard is up (properly) you can simply deflect his punch with minimal movement and counter with an attack, or deflect another strike. If you executed the block/deflection properly the opponent should be slightly off balance, obviously giving you the upper hand at that moment.

then again, when the guy is that close in to make a short cutting hook like that, as long as you stay in your centerline, its not usually a problem for us wing chun guys because our punches sort of act as blocks, cutting off those kinds of angles

Same in Hung Gar - a block/deflection can quickly become a strike. Since the opponent's fist is pretty much going to pass right by your head (assuming he strikes toward the head) he'll be close enough for you to pull nearly anything off.

Close Quarters Combat Tactics - Hope to see you there!

• 8 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! Lots of good responses here. Here's my 2 cents:

(1)Since I always watch the elbows and knees, I would first use a stop-hit while simultaneously punching.

(2) if already in grappling range, step even further into the punch so that it goes past me --step to the outside and take out the legs--from here it is submission city!!

Alternatively, I could simply block the punch by raising the elbow to the high outside gate (Bil sao would be effective too) and punch with the we sao hand while kicking either the groin or knee.

When fear is removed, the arrogance of uncertainty is dispelled and it is therefore no longer necessary to prove yourself in any form of combat. By learning how to fight, you learn how not to fight.

There are exceptional sifu out there who can send a person flying back with cheung kuen, pak sao, or even bong sao! How's that for simplicity!? Realistically, I would use tan da or pak da. Muhammad Ali once annihilated a hook by merely moving towards his opponent.

• 1 month later...

Many great posts here. I will give my own answer eventually!

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

Being a Choy Lay Fut guy who also trains in boxing, I think I can answer this.

There are a few ways actually, the safest being to duck, weave or fall back outta the way.

However, we throw so many hooks, overhands, sau choys, kup choys and ching jee choys that we've managed to develop all sorts of neat counters.

My favorite is still the basic Chuen Na -- intercept, bridge, grab (without gloves), control. I do it to my karateka friends all the time, it's great.

Anyways what it is is an outward block/strike thingy. . . they throw a sau or a hook, and before they can get enough power, you throw out the cheun.

Shoot your arm outwards at about a 45 degree angle, striking his wrist/forearms with your own forearms. Your hand should be an open palm facing outwards, and you should be able to easily shift and twist your wrist as to grab, seize, pull, etc.

The bridging and controlling is crucial. Once you make the bridge connection, close the gap, jam his legs and start the work (for the Southern guys).

Pound the hell outta him before he can recover. You can either A) move into him or B) move outside of him.

A blending strike to the arm with a simultaneous strike to the neck or temple or base of skull, forcing them off center, followed immediately with several strike-down techniques until they are on the ground.

Or parry the move, v-step in, control the arm as it passed by you, take them off center, strike to the knee, the base of skull, or do a downward neck break from the rear.

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

Here's my input:

I think it was posted before about being far enough out to block at the wrist. I'm trying to envision this and I know many of the people I train with are skilled enough to roll around this and feed me an elbow.

If your range is too far to get inside with any success, then it may be possible due to the inward nature of this punch to slip to the outside of the person. Let's say they are throwing a right hook; since their hips would now be at least squared ducking/weaving and getting to the outside is a safe option, this allows for either a shot to the middle gate (which combined with a rising action could be quite painful). This could also give you positioning for all sorts of shots to neck and head.

If the range is closer a favorite technique of mine (Not necessarily the most effective but a bit different from what has been posted) is to step my lead foot past the person, blocking the technique at the shoulder/upper arm (And here this could be anything from a palm to a knife or ridge hand, or even some of the fists) and a grab with the other arm on the same side, on the neck or trapezius. Immediately from this using the person as a "tether" so to speak, you pull yourself in and deliver a knee kick (groin, stomach, or if you can pull it off, solar plexus). You could also lose the knee kick and to step behind and take down. This movement sounds lengthy and complex but it should be done with absolute speed and intensity.

The game of chess is much like a swordfight; you must think before you move.