• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Favorite response to a hook punch...

Sounds like some of the work we've been doing recently on changing gate Busling. It's just getting the range and interception right with a punch that fast and hard to see.

We also worked on slipping/striking or slipping/trapping.

"...or maybe you are carrying a large vicious dog in your pocket." -Scottnshelly

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nick_UKWC I agree with the range and difficulty. I don't think I could pull off it against a full speed punch.

We did it as when we where breaking down our wooden dummy sets and applying to a training partner. We then did some adaption and changed it around a bit. I was with much more senior partner and he come up with. It just seemed to flow so well.

In most other classes we would just use Bil Sao or Inside Tan Sao or duck/slip it.

i'm not sure if that type of move is going to work against a hook,

mainly because of the 'obscure' 'cutting-in' angle of entry of a hook (not a swinging punch).

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

• 2 weeks later...

yes that is one of the fundamental ideas of wing chun, positional defence, attack while defending, but in responce to a hook punch...prepare to be amazed by the complex simplicity of wing chun physics :brow:

http://www.swiftwingchun.org/video/demos/2002_8_BeginnersBasic1_18/BeginnersBasic1_18_56k.mov

this guy is stevie lee swift, my dad learned from him, he was the first to bring wing chun to america and is more than likely the best GM in the US today.

style:wing chun

Don't try to predict the outcome of a fight. just let nature take its course.

I like it. Pretty good range to be working from, gonna try it :)

Wouldn't work from a clinch though, any more for any more?

"...or maybe you are carrying a large vicious dog in your pocket." -Scottnshelly

.....just wanna say that the punch thrown in the clip isn't strictly what i would call a hook punch

and it wasn't what i was refering to when i mentioned obscure cutting in angle.

the hook i was thinking of is the boxer's type where it is thrown at very short range, normally out of your field of vision towards the body or, if he chooses to use angles, to your head.

it kinda travels in a very close-to-the-body arc (over his shoulder if he goes for the head).

for the wing chun guys, imagine you doing a downwards elbow but shooting out the hand to punch/hook when you have the angle (instead of dropping the elbow shot in).

it's hard to stop because while it has a circular power base, the line of travel is kinda straight and very short.

i.e you have very little time to see+react to it, especially if he starts it from deep where you can't 'see' it.

of course i understand that the clip is a beginners' clip

and of course there's also all of the accompanying 'pre'hook' scenarios to think about.

just illustrating the type of hook i was thinking of.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

well the kind of hook your describing sounds to short to get inside of it, so i'm thinking you'd have to block it at the wrist some how depending on the angle its comming at you, maybe sort of jam it into his body??

then again, when the guy is that close in to make a short cutting hook like that, as long as you stay in your centerline, its not usually a problem for us wing chun guys because our punches sort of act as blocks, cutting off those kinds of angles

Drunken Monkey are reading your detailed explaination of the hook punch that you were talking about; I would not use the technique I first talked about. Instead I would attempt to "jam" the punch, by thrusting my arm up into his arm. This is really force against force and will not stop the punch but it will hopefully take some of its power away. In this situation I am thinking clinch, clinch, clinch.