• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

~Highest Dan~

Kibon Il Chang. Kibon means "basics" and Il Chang means 1st in the set. At the time there was one white belt form. I think there are more now, though we still do the one white belt form.

Apologize for the long block of white. Haven't mastered quoting specific sentences or paragraphs.

Queen Padme: "So this is how Democracy dies-with thunderous applause."

Annikin Skywalker: "You're either with me or against me!"

Obi-won Kenobi: "That is the Way of the Sith!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was told by my WTF instructor (when I was still with the WTF) that all degrees above 4th were honorary (meaning you don't have to test). They sent my WTF master a 5th degree certificate from the Kukkiwon in the mail...

Edit: I guess its not honorary then.

Not honorary, but what I've heard is that when you start getting to 5th dan and above, it's not so much the martial arts proficiency that is being tested, but what you have done to return something to your art.

I.E., how many students have you taught, have you assisted on regional/national councils, have you helped advance the art in general, etc etc.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

As my Instructor explained it, 4th Dan-5th Dan is teaching and producing good students. 6th Dan-7th Dan is about developing a national reputation and learning about Tae Kwon Do politics (which can be intriguing). 8th Dan-9th Dan is about developing a world reputation in your art, so that if you are a Tae Kwon Do Grandmaster, everyone in the Tae Kwon Do world knows who you are.

Sounds reasonable uptheirons - but i think that would be the natural progression - most tkd students [bb 1 & 2] know of the majority of the 8th and 9th dans in the world.

good way to explain it though.

And the reason why 1st and 2nd Dans know of them is the hard work and dedication they have shown to world Tae Kwon Do. Gen. Choi and Jhoon Rhee would be considered 9th Dans. Why? Because everyone in the Tae Kwon Do world, regardless of affiliation, knows who they are. That means 9th Dan.

If you claim 8th or 9th Dan, but noone outside your organization or circle of friends knows you, you are not really 9th dan.

True story: The guy who teaches Tae Kwon Do at my alma mater claims Tae Kwon Do 9th Dan. The organization he claims it from? The organization he founded. Very convenient.

Yeah i agree- dont think choi is a good exmaple - being the founder of TKD anyway - Joon Rhee - yeah good one

Hee il cho? another one - iagree that is the definition of true 8th and 9th - they should be world renowned - you've convinced me now :D

• 1 month later...

The number nine is special in the orient, particularly Korea. Which is why 9th degree is the highest, it also give you the rank 'Grandmaster'.

"There are no limitations only plateux, and once you reach them you must not stay there."

--Bruce Lee