• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

obviously it all depends on the style

in soo bahk do there is only one Grandmaster (Kwan Jang Nim HC Hwang, since his father, Hwang Kee, passed away)

there are a small handful of 8th Dans around the world, but that's about it.

------------------------------------------

Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan

• 1 month later...

Obviously high rank varies from style to style. In mine/ours, 10th Dan is the head of the system and there is only the one. Basically, anything over 6th Dan is honorary anyway and goes with time in grade, contributions to the art, continually practicing and teaching and improving your technique. I doubt if I'll get any higher than I am already, which is OK by me. I know the 6th-10th Dans of our system that I've worked with have been excellent and very impressive and knowledgable.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

in itf it only goes as high as 9th... even the founder of taekwondo itself general choi hong hi only placed himself as a 9th dan. i think theres about 4-5 9th dans alive today in the organisation...

4th dan - 'stripes'/'messer'

7th dan - master

9th dan - grandmaster

ITF Information[/url]"] There is, of course, certain significance in the numbering system. With degrees, the number 9 is not only the highest one among one digit numbers but also is the number of 3 multiplied by 3. In the Orient, three is the most esteemed of all the numbers. The Chinese character representing three is written: . The upper line symbolizes the heaven; the middle line, mortals; and the bottom line earth. It was believed that the individual who was successful in promoting his country, fellowmen and God, and able to reach an accord with all three would aspire to become King, which was written thusly: . The Chinese character for three and king are nearly synonymous. When the number three is multiplied by itself, the equation is nine, the highest of the high; therefore ninth degree is the highest of the high-ranking belts. It is also interesting to note that when the number 9 is multiplied by any other single digit number and the resultant figures are added together, the answer always equals 9, i.e. 9x1=9; 9x2=18, 1+8=9 and so on up to 9x9=81, 8+1=9. Since this is the only single digit number having this property, it again points to the number 9 as being the most positive of figures. Taking the use of the number three one-step further, the degrees are further divided into three distinct classes. First through third degree is considered the novice stages of black belt. Students are still merely beginners in comparison to the higher degrees. At fourth degree, the student crosses the threshold of puberty and enters the expert class. Seventh through ninth is composed of Taekwon-Do masters - the elite who fully understand all the particulars of Taekwon-Do, mental and physical.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Isn't there something about the chinese character for ten that makes super special--I've heard it referred to as "God's number"? Something about a connection between Earth, Man, and Heaven. Sound familiar to anyone?

On a side note, a tenth degree was awarded to ATA's Grand Master upon his passing. I believe it was signed by a number of his peer ninth degrees from many other associations (since he was the only ninth degree in ATA at the time). His title was dubbed "Eternal Grand Master" and I thought it was a touching sentiment from the other Grand Masters.

RightMakesMight

"If you're not doing what is right and no one is there to see it--YOU will still know."

"Just because you're not doing anything wrong doesn't necessarily mean you're doing what's right."