• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

~Highest Dan~

Does anyone know the highest possible dan that one can achieve? I believe my grandmaster is 9th dan. Does it go beyond this?

There are no inns on the highway to death. For whose house will I stay in tonite?

Prince Otsu, Japan 751 AD

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always heard 9th dan is the highest you can get, but I'm not positive...

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way. When sorrows like sea billows roll. Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, 'It is well, it is well with my soul.'

It depends on the style or more specifically the federation. I have met grandmasters that are 10 dan and then the highest rank you can obtain as a student is 9th dan. Other styles have only upto 9th dan. I have also been in the company of Grandmasters that the highest dan level at the times is 8th so it all depends

I took a budo taijutsu (ninjutsu) demo class once from a guy whos GM is a 15th dan...seems excessive to me but it all varies...seems like most arts have a few 9th dans with 1 10th dan being the head of the style. So basically like freemasons have 32 technical ranks and 1 honorary...in alot of the MA's there is 9 technical dans and the 1 honorary.

Long Live the Fighters!

itf tkd = 9th

wtf= 10th

pain is weakness leaving the body.

fear is the mind killer, i will face my fear and let it pass threw me. from the movie "dune"

i know kung fu...show me. from the movie "the matrix"

I believe that Hatsumi extended the Bujinkan rankings to 15th Dan in order to allow some of his more senior students to continue to progress. It was an interesting theory. I would think that by the time you're 10th Dan, you don't need the incentive of another stripe, but... :)

But I won't argue, since Hatsumi is also a martial genius.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

Who administrates the test for the highes rank?

If i had to choose between karate and everything else, I would choose karate so i could beat up whoever made me make the decision and have everything else

9th is the highest. There is a 10th dan (kukkiwon) that is given by special recomendation only and not that common.

"First learn stand, then learn fly. Nature rule, Daniel-san, not mine."

-- Mr. Miyagi

Well to the dan promotion question...of course the head of the system can probably promote anyone at any time to any rank they want. As to the other people who want to get promoted I believe the general thing is to have several higher dans nominate them as a comittee. For instance if you wanted to become 8th dan you would need 5 8th dans to nominate you.

Long Live the Fighters!

• 2 weeks later...