• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

advanced rankings?

wingedsoldier

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

We do it in our system of Kenpo.... its relatively new.

We call it Junior Belts.

for example... our normal progression goes....

white

yellow

orange

purple

blue

green

red

3rd Brown

2nd Brown

1st Brown

Black

but for children, younger kids, teens dont do it... it goes.

white

junior yellow

yellow

junior orange

orange

junior purple

purple

blue

green

red

3rd Brown

2nd Brown

1st Brown

Black

As you see there are only 3 junior ranks.

basically the junior ranks are only for basics.

this system was done primarily to keep young kids in the system.

younger kids have a harder time remembering and concentrating, and holding in more information.

This allows us to focus on the basics necessary for each belt so the younger kids not only stay focused and retain more, but they stay interested and have a longer stay in the martial arts.

each belt rank has 6 stripes for basics and 6 stripes for curriculum.

the junior belts just work on the basics first.

We expect everyone else to retain and learn all at once and not broken up as we do for the kids.

I have a strong feeling that if not for the monetary factors of trying to retain students longer you would not have ever seen junior or half belt rankings.

hope this helps explain it from my perspective decently

If a school has 10 ranks within it's ten belts and charges money for each stripe, you may be in an overpriced McDojo.

In our school we have grades for brown belts and black belts

If i had to choose between karate and everything else, I would choose karate so i could beat up whoever made me make the decision and have everything else

In my Karate dojo it was white, then progressively get three stripes and test, yellow, three stripes, etc.

White

Yellow

Orange

Blue

Purple

Green

Red

Brown

1st (sort of a temporary) Black

Black

My dojo didn't charge for stripes, or I wouldn't have stayed there long.

The smaller kids (from 4 to about seven and eight years old), we had this system:

White

White with two horizontal yellow stripes

White with two horizontal orange stripes

White with two horizontal blue stripes...

And so on and so on, until they got to the white belt with two horizontal black stripes, and they next tested for the regular white, where they would progress through the regular belts.

I forgot to say how my school grades now. We get three stripes on each belt before testing for the next color belt. We have 8 color belts .... white, orange, yellow, green, purple, blue, brown, red. Red belts have two ranks. Red and senior red they call it. We still get three stripes, but senior red have an extra thick black stripe on the right side of the belt. The three smaller ones (on the left) come off and then you get three more. Then you can test for prob. black. There is no charge for stripe testing. They do charge for belt test, though. $5 to cover the belt. That's it.

Laurie F

I guess I never realized how few belt colors we really use at my university club until I read this post!

We only have 6!

White - 9th Kyu

Orange - 8th, 7th

Green - 6th

Purple - 5th, 4th

Brown - 3rd, 2nd, 1st

Black

We don't have any system for telling the difference on sight between same color/different kyu belts. So if there's an orange belt, and you have no idea what specific kyu he is? Ask :lol:

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

I guess I never realized how few belt colors we really use at my university club until I read this post!

We only have 6!

White - 9th Kyu

Orange - 8th, 7th

Green - 6th

Purple - 5th, 4th

Brown - 3rd, 2nd, 1st

Black

We don't have any system for telling the difference on sight between same color/different kyu belts. So if there's an orange belt, and you have no idea what specific kyu he is? Ask :lol:

We use:

white - 8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th kyu

brown - 3rd, 2nd, 1st kyu

black - 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th dan

• 2 weeks later...

our dojo has

White-10-9-8-7 kyu

Green-6-5-4 kyu

Brown-3-2-1 Kyu

Black Belt

It is not unusual to see a slightly frayed white belt, also when we go to seminars, it is sometimes funny to see a white belt still standing and running thru kata with yellow,orange,blue, green or what ever spectrum of colors some other dojo's have from 10-7th kyu, same with green belts...brown are usually the same.

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

In my old Aikido club we used to have white belts for 7th-1st Kyu and black belt for 1st Dan onwards.

My karate club has the following system. Personally I dislike it and would like to ditch the stripe belts, as I think we have too many colours and too many kyu grades.

10th kyu - white

9th kyu - orange

8th kyu - red

7th kyu - yellow

6th kyu - green

5th kyu - purple

4th kyu - purple with a white stripe

3rd kyu - brown

2nd kyu - brown with a white stripe

1st kyu - brown with 2 white stripes

1st dan onwards - black

The belt system is the same for adults and juniors.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!