• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate Bo form music

tacotupac

I have recently began to learn our schools bo form. My instructor has mentioned I would do good in competition. I would like to put it to music. I am looking for some good suggestions on song(s) to use in the form. Even though it has good beats and breaks techno is used too much in tournaments and the judges seemed turned off because of this. Help me with some suggestions.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To put a traditional form to music would have to alter the timing and application of the techniques.I do not see the point in showing the judges how to kill to a beat.And I do not know many kobudo practitioners that would be qualified in judging band majorettes,and would not be happy to know a majorette was judging my kobudo.Somebody that did their form even poorly but with even the slightest evidence of application in my tournaments would easily beat a baton twirler.Kobudo translates to techniques of war not dance.In my dojo the difference is self evident.I do not mind people training or competeing in these flashy tournaments but I do mind them doing it in the name of the arts I have strived to do correctly as my instructors have taught me.This type of competition obviously has a place and a fairly large following shouldnt they find a more fitting name than karate or martial arts tounaments because they are neither.

migi kamae,migi bo kihon ichi

To put a traditional form to music would have to alter the timing and application of the techniques.

I second. It's the very first thing I thought of when I read your post.

I just had this really funny thought stick in my head of someone doing a bo kata to a really slow, twangy country music song.

Maybe this isn't the exact same thing, but I went to an open MA tournament in Matoon, Illlinois about six months ago and the actually had a musical kata competition or something like that. This green belt did what I can only guess to be some kata he made up to the song "Achy Breaky Heart."

Matsumura Seito Shorin-Ryu

Yea, what harleyt26 said.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

Many moon's ago in college, I had to take a Rhythmic Dance class (don't even THINK about commenting on that please :evil: ) and for our final test we had to do a dance of our own design to music. I was a brown belt (ist Kyu) at the time, so I did a "dance" with my sai to the tune of the old Clint Eastwood spagetti western music of The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Trying to find that music might be a trick...check your local library..that's where I found it in 1978. :D

Oh..by the way..the instructor of that class loved it so much that she had me do it for the entire class instead of just privately for her (as everybody did)..and I got an "A" for the course! :brow:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

:o

You are a brave, brave man...now let's never speak of this again.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

:o

You are a brave, brave man...now let's never speak of this again.

Nobody's going to see that post anyway *I hope* :roll:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Karate forms and weapon forms aren't generally meant to be put to music. Actually, there are some martial arts schools near you that are good at competing in Musical forms and musical weapons forms. Try Grand Master Dr. Terry Warner's House of the Dragon school. They have some phenomenally athletic martial artists in that school. I know that United Karate also has a school in West St. Paul I believe. I'm going to college in New York, but I'm from about 90 miles from the Twin Cities. I know quite a few guys from Minnesota, Gary Mattevi, Steve Koski, Bill Lassi, etc. If you want anymore suggestions on people that might be able to help you out you can IM me or e-mail me.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War