Where to look?

Where do you look when fighting/sparring  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you look when fighting/sparring

• At opponent's eyes
    • At opponent's shoulders
    • At your feet
    • Elsewhere

I've seen various posts regarding advice on where to look when fighting/sparring.

Some say look at the eyes. They say that most people look where they're going to strike. Personally I think this is wrong. Maybe with someone who has never fought before, you could get away with watching the eyes. But I've found that anyone I spar with that has any experience doesn't always look where they are going to strike. Especially the Kenpo guys who probably couldn't move their eyes fast enough to look at each target they are going to hit.

I'm in the 'watch the shoulders with a peripheral focus on the waist" school myself. You can hit someplace without looking at it, but it is much more difficult to hit without moving your shoulders. It's not impossible of course, but if you are focused more on the shoulder/torso area, your field of view will include their shoulders, waist, torso, arms, and legs. Those are the areas that are going to move and show you where the attack is coming from and going. Plus I figure if your opponent is dumb enough to be watching your eyes, and all you're doing is looking at their shoulders/torso, they will be very surprised when your fist is suddenly in their face.

Where do YOU look when fighting and why? Are there any other good areas to watch?

DT

- "Failure is the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently." Benjamin Franklin

-"If you always do what you've always done you'll always be what you've always been." Dale Carnegie

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to look at the persons torso with my primary focus on my opponents neck. When a person moves in a foward manner you can pick up a tensing in their neck muscles. With some it is easier to read than others. The lighter and the more relaxed the person the harder to pick this up. By looking at the torso you can see all of your opponents limbs at once without being fixated on one.

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

I also like looking towards the mid section, this allows you to view all. You just need to break any habits of developing tunnel vision, this habit is usally broken after some coaching on the mitts and after you take a few good un-seen strikes in your first couple of sparring mathces.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

With more and more experience, everybody will find the spot works for them.

With that said, where I teach my people to looks is right in the center of their opponents chest. NEVER look at their eyes because some people (my sensei was good at this) can fake you out or intimidate you with their eyes. Plus looking that high will make you miss their feet. I can guarantee that when we get within leg reach of each other, my front foot will sneak up very quickly and nail you in the groin while you're busy looking at my eyes. You won't see it...but you'll darn sure FEEL it!

If you watch my hips, you'll miss my backfist coming t you, as we strive NOT to turn our hips. It's a clear "telegraph" that something is coming...as we work very hard at not telegraphing out techniques. They're on you before you see them coming is the goal.

Watching my feet will get your nose broken, teeth knocked out and eye blackened...period.

Looking at the chest, but not focusing on it will allow you to see both hands and feet, plus where their body is moving to....as we move at angles mostly.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I put shoulders... but I try to look at where the collarbone meets just below your neck. I say "try" because I know that when I start to get tired, I start looking more down. I'm a beginner though :P

They eye thing usually doesn't work in combat, only in other circumstances, such as with the ladies...it's the shoulders when your sparring and if your martial arts features kicks, then the leg positioning is good to look at too. Though, if you look too long then your opponent will strike you before anything can happen of course.

If you take a crooked path and have to go through a cliff. Either hope there is a bridge, or learn to fly.

Other.

where I teach my people to looks is right in the center of their opponents chest. NEVER look at their eyes because some people (my sensei was good at this) can fake you out ... Looking at the chest, but not focusing on it will allow you to see both hands and feet, plus where their body is moving to....as we move at angles mostly.

I try to look at where the collarbone meets just below your neck.

center of chest

Yep. Top center of breastbone, but not focused.

You can glance at the eyes to read his spirit or intent, but only very quickly once a fight is immenent or has started. Never fixate or linger there.

Freedom isn't free!