• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Help Please

Sridhar

Open hand techniques are usually illegal - so that means that a doing a shuto to the head could get you disqualified.

I have been to 2 tournaments in the 2 years I have trained. One sponsored by a TKD dojo and the other by an Isshinryu dojo. Both allowed open hand techniques. Hetos, shutos, ridge hand and spear hand would all be allowed.

Guess it depends on whose tournament it is. Read the rules and understand what is in and what is out. Some tournaments allow groin, neck, collar bone and kidneys while others don't.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Stick to techniques that you know and are comfortable with. Even if you are losing, don't risk being disqualified by being rash. Although it is nice to win, it's not the end of the world if you don't. Use the tournament to think about what you need to work on so that you can improve for next time.

Also, if you are serious about wanting to win tourneys then I'd suggest that you try and enter as many as possible. It will be good experience for you and will build your confidence.

Good luck for the competition! :)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I have to go zen on this one. In the book zen in the martial arts it tells a story about this guy who in sparring is losing and tries to pull out some tricks in order to score on his vastly superior opponent. This backfires badly and he is defeated afterwards he talk to his sensei who just happens to Ed parker. Sensei parker draws a line with chalk on the floor and asks how can you make this shorter? The man gives several answers including cutting the line into several smaller pieces. Sensei Parker shook his head and then drew a second line longer than the first and asked how does the first line look now ? The man replied shorter, and which point sensei parker said it always better to strengthen your own line or knowledge than to try and cut your opponents line. he then asked the man to think about what he had just said

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro