• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

start karate

Dark Shogun

Hi everyone.

I'm new to this forum and I've been looking for an excuse for a first post so I decided this is as good a reason as any.

A work mate of mine wants to start karate. She had a look on the internet about it and of course was confused with all te diferent styles and organiations.

So she asked me about it. I'm not sure what to tell her but I supose I will advise her to look at the dojos in her local area and join the one she enjoys i guess.

I should have asked why she wanted to study karate (self defence, sport, fitness, fashon etc).

In any event, hi I'm Liam ex Shito Ryu now Goju Ryu.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi Liam! Sounds like you have the right idea. She should look at the dojos around and then think about what she's looking for. Most reputable schools will let you watch a class and may even let you try one. Of course, this forum is always a good place to talk to practioners of various styles and she should log on and start asking questions! Good luck to the both of you!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

95% join the dojo that is most convenient to their home...

the remaining 5% look for something more. It is not the style that will be superior but the teacher. Are they haveing fun but still showing discipline and control? Are they being treated like adults or spoiled children? Will the Sensei allow you to talk to his students?

A good match between Sensei and student is priceless and worth searching for and testing out for at least 3-4 months before you make up your mind.

Tell your friend "good luck",

Looking round at all the dojo's in her local area would be the best thing for your friend to do. IF she tries out a lesson or two at the one's that she is interested in then she'll get a 'feel' of the place and of the instructor.

I hope that she finds a dojo she likes! :)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• 3 weeks later...

All of the advice you have received is great. Please remember to encourage her and let her know that we all start out as beginners and if she goes to a dojo where the advanced aren't willing to help or be supportive... beware.