• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

street/ weapons defense

I posted this in the comparitive section because Im hoping for unbiased answers.

My goals: Self Defense. I never get into fights and dont plan on starting. Not any competitions either.

Ive always admired the training found in what alot would call "sport MA's". (Muay Thai, Judo, BJJ, etc.) I think I enjoy training the most when its high energy and slightly brutal the way those folks train.

It no secret though that those MA's dont address weapons defense. IMO they are great at what they do, but they simply dont do that.

Then theres a style like FMA. Geared for SD. Lots of weapons training/ defense. However, with these attributes comes slower/ less intense/ less resistance training. (Of course theres the Dog Brothers, but how many schools are there like this?)

So, between high intensity/ sport/ resistance, and low intensity/ less resistance/ self defense training, which do you think is actually better to save your life in an actual SD situation?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, I'm not going to slam any styles, since properly executed they can all be good self-defense.

With that said, have a look at Kenpo [specifically Ed Parker's American Kenpo, although there are other similar flavors]. The majority of the curriculum is dedicated to self-defense. I haven't gotten to any weapons defense yet [execpt an over-head club attack], I'm only an orange belt, but further on there are weapon defense techniques. Then again, even what I've learned now could be applied to a situation involving a weapon if it really came down to it, and I believe the advanced weapon defense techniques are basically just modified versions of the "non-weapon" techniques.

Regardless of what style you decide on, check out the school and make sure that it is someplace you want to spend your time, and that they have the focus you're interested in. That's probably more important that the style.

You can do a search of posts by Delta1, who always has good information regarding Kenpo [as well as other styles]. I've learned quite a bit just watching his [her?] posts.

DT

- "Failure is the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently." Benjamin Franklin

-"If you always do what you've always done you'll always be what you've always been." Dale Carnegie

definitely look in to kenpo. like doubletwist said, it does teach lots of good defense techniques. and depending on what school you go to, you can learn how to even use weapons pretty early on. i'm only an advanced yellow and i'm already fairly proficient with kempo sticks which can be applied to any object with a handle. there will also be knives and defense against knives. but be sure you like the style before you get in to it.

It would be nice if you could find a school with a Mixed Arts class. I teach my students a mixed program and they get punches, kicks, knees, elbows, locks, chokes, throws, takedowns, clinch fighting, ground grappling, weapons defense and some weapons training. I try to cover it all to best prepare an individual for realistic situations. I agree that looking into kenpo would be a good idea also, I myself have never studied it but I hear if you find a good kenpo school you will gain a lot from your training. Also look into some jujitsu schools, if you can find one that has added stand up fighting then you might be good to go.

Good Luck

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

I appreciate the responses. I should have been more clear though.

Ive been at a school for 14 months thats a combination of Muay Thai, JKD, and FMA. I left 6 months ago due to an injury. Im almost back to being able to train though. Now, Im considering going to a "sport" type of school due to the attributes mentioned in my original post. Im sure Kenpo is great, but after 3 months of my attempting it, I realized katas just arent for me. (Please no kata debates here. They may work wonders for you and thats great, they just arent for me.)

cfr, the school you attended sounds like a good mix. Schools vary with the intensity of their training in all systems, even the 'full contact' sport schools. I'd recomend you consider staying with them (though it's only based on the styles, not on any particular knowlege of the school). You can often find some dedicated students that are willing to mix it up a little on the side, and you can invite the seriouse ones from different ystems and schools and sort of share the knowlege- and the pain!

The FMA's are generally good weapons training for about anything you can pick up, providing you don't get into a 'keep the opponent at bay' mindset. For firearms, some of the best methods I've seen are in the SCARS system. I'm not a big fan of their general system overall, but they did an excellant job on firearms defense, both pistols and long guns. Their tapes are a little expensive, though.

Of course, I recomend you look into any Kenpo schools in your area if you really want to change. I know of some in Spokane and Northern Idaho that train some of their students for full contact sports fights. But the system is really designed for street self defense, including practical weapons defenses. But where you've already got 14 mo invested in a school that sounds like it could be good, I'd say think hard before jumping styles. In the martial arts more than most anything else I've seen, the grass allways looks greener. There's allways a better, more ultimate style, or a more famouse instructor (at least in his mind), or a better lineage... .

Freedom isn't free!

I would stay where Im at without a second thought... but it takes a lonnnggg time to spar. Ive been there 14 months, Ive probably got another 14 - 18 to spar. Pretty discouraging.

They probably have their reasons. Actually, sparing before having a good grounding in your basics and combinations/techniques can (but doesn't have to) lead to bad habbits. Maybe you should talk to your instructor and find out what their reasoning is, but I wouldn't quit just over that.

Do you do a lot of drills? Do you do them with force? If so, you are building muscle memory, recognition, and understanding for the time you are ready to start sparing. I'm like you, I love to spar! But sometimes you have to trust the methods your instructor uses to train you. Every system is different, and who's to say which methods are best- and for who?

Much as I'd like to tell you to just run out and find a Kenpo school, it's not allways the best advice. And, in the end, it's your decission. I'm just adviseing (since you asked) that you give it a lot of seriouse thought before you jump. All schools, systems and methods have strengths and weaknesses. The main thing is to find what suits you and stick with it. Look around and even work with other styles. But don'tjump every time you see something more interesting, because you'll never learn much more than basics that way.

Freedom isn't free!

It is entirely possible to do high resistance self defense training to escape from holds and such.

As far as weapons defense, I cant say I focus alot on that, since many of the things I see are impractical.

I think maybe the best way to learn how to defend against a particular weapon is to learn off those who use it the most- if I wanted to know how to defend from knife attacks, I'd ask someone whos a knife fighter, etc.

I'll just add my 2 cents in here for the heck of it. :D

To me, I have ALWAYS felt the martial arts are for one thing only..and that is for self-defense purposes. Basics, kata, sparring, drills, breakfalls...EVERYTHING has its purposes in the area of self-defense IMHO.

With that in mind, we drill constantly on different self-defense scenerios where you maybe be fighting one...two...three or more opponents at a time...with, or without weapons. We learn use our environment to our advantage, whether it be a tree, chair, ashtray, bottle, stick, handful of dirt, car or whatever. I contantly tell my class "Envision yourself fighting someone" when they do kata, and I have student "attackers" attack with true force...not wish-washer weak attacks. We learn to defend against hard, serious strikes.

We practice being attacked by baseball bats, other clubs, chairs, knives, pistols and rifles (at close range of course). Yes, it can be done if you know what to do. I leave the long range firearms techniques to the Ninja's to mess with. :roll:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"