• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wing Chun and Aikido Combo?

:-?

Hi all,

I'm thinking of taking both Wing Chun and Aikido at the same time. My girlfriend is into Aikido and she wants me to train with her.

I've taken Shotokan Karate for a few years but don't like the hard styles and unrealistic blocks. I've always wanted to take Wing Chun since I like the softer blocks, trapping and simultaneous hits. I find this is a more realistic form of self defense.

I'd like you guys opinions on the pros and cons of training in Wing Chun and Aikido at the same time. Is this a wise move? Is it complimentary to both forms?

Thanks!!

Kittyhawk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi

I've been practicing aikido for about 4 years and wing tsun for about half a year now. I don't think you will find much sadifaction out aikido when you get further in wing tsun, and this is why. Aikido doesn't work against wing tsun. But before I can say if it is a good idea first tell me why you are practising martial arts?

greetz Muanh

Hi

I've been practicing aikido for about 4 years and wing tsun for about half a year now. I don't think you will find much sadifaction out aikido when you get further in wing tsun, and this is why. Aikido doesn't work against wing tsun. But before I can say if it is a good idea first tell me why you are practising martial arts?

greetz Muanh

I've tried Aikido, and I do Wing Chun now. I liked the ideas in Aikido but there is little chance it could stand up to a full on Wing Chun attack.

Over all I would say Wing Chun was far easier to use effectivly and far faster to learn.

"...or maybe you are carrying a large vicious dog in your pocket." -Scottnshelly

Aikido is one of those martial arts that you will train in for years, not be able to grasp each concept to use it, and then one day everything will click and it can be one of the most effective tools in your arsenal. I have not studied Wing Chun, so I cannot make a comparison. I just know that Aikido can be a long arduous undertaking if you want it to become an effective fighting style.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

• 9 months later...

Beware confusing the two arts if you are going to train them simultaneously, you don't want to stop-hit an aikido technique or start chain punching in the middle of your aikido drills---I have only briefly studied any aikido but have extensive judo experience and the two arts can be complimentary, especially since WC does not have a lot of techniques that are usuable on the ground but try to keep the 2 arts seperated in your mind and in your practice until you become proficient at them both and build up some muscle memory, otherwise you will likely experience brain scramble.

When fear is removed, the arrogance of uncertainty is dispelled and it is therefore no longer necessary to prove yourself in any form of combat. By learning how to fight, you learn how not to fight.

:-?

Hi all,

I'm thinking of taking both Wing Chun and Aikido at the same time. My girlfriend is into Aikido and she wants me to train with her.

I've taken Shotokan Karate for a few years but don't like the hard styles and unrealistic blocks. I've always wanted to take Wing Chun since I like the softer blocks, trapping and simultaneous hits. I find this is a more realistic form of self defense.

I'd like you guys opinions on the pros and cons of training in Wing Chun and Aikido at the same time. Is this a wise move? Is it complimentary to both forms?

Thanks!!

Kittyhawk

As a rule of the thumb you should practise one style to a point where you have grasped the fundementals and have developed a working knowledge of techniques and their application before you even consider taking up another style. Now, when it comes to Aikido, I don't see its relevance to Wing Chun. My advice would be for you to stick to Wing Chun and let your girlfriend miss you a little :wink: .

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".