• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wing Chun or Krav Maga

I dont see why krav maga is seen as a superior martial art or why everyone talk this way about it what ive seen from these videos i dont see much differnce from the self defence techniques i do at my karate dojo, krav maga seem to be all attack, the aim is to get your opponent to the ground as fast as possible as for the gun defence clip i see this technique very dangerous the gun was right in front of that lady i mean maybe this is the efficient way to do it but its still dangerous.

i dont know much about this martial art but if you can give me a few facts on it, that would be good.

http://www.kravmaga.com/video.asp

http://jedimc.tripod.com/ma.html - what MA do you do, this is my poll.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are very low quality clips, but Gun - Third Party Protection looked like actually pulled the gun away from the guy then hit him in the face with it.

I don't really know if this is what it looked like, or really how that should be applied but going from that video alone I do have the worry that pulling a gun towards a trigger finger has the same effect as, well, pulling the trigger...

"...or maybe you are carrying a large vicious dog in your pocket." -Scottnshelly

I dont see why krav maga is seen as a superior martial art or why everyone talk this way about it

Good advertising. And many 'martial artists' are allways looking for that 'ultimate style' instead of looking more deeply into what they already do.

Gun - Third Party Protection looked like actually pulled the gun away from the guy then hit him in the face with it. ...I do have the worry that pulling a gun towards a trigger finger has the same effect as, well, pulling the trigger...

This has been one of my problems with KM from the first time I saw it. Their gun and knife defenses will likely get you killed. In fact, with many of them you will likely kill yourself. I allways qualify my statements about it by saying that I havn't seen a lot of KM, and may not have seen the best examples of the system.

Krav Maga is a quickly learned cqc (close quarters combat) system, and as such was not meant to be the 'ultimate art'. It is meant to be easily and quickly learned as an adjunct and applied by people whose primary methods of fighting involve firearms and team work. There are other cqc courses out there. But this one is exotic, used by Israeli forces, so it must be good.

I'd say if you are interested in KM, check out the school and their methods of instruction, and their techniques. Take an experienced fighter with you if you can, and don't make any decissions until you've talked with him alone.

Same should apply to any school or system you are interested in. There are (sadly) bad WC schools, bad AK schools, and just bad schools.

Freedom isn't free!

well i definitely not calling it a ultimate art from wat ive seen, but i think there is no ultimate art as there are limited techniques the arms, legs and body can make unless you get every single effective technique that would be good in real life situations from evry style.

but I like doing Kata's and traditional stuff anyway.

http://jedimc.tripod.com/ma.html - what MA do you do, this is my poll.

I would have to say wing tsun if you get a school part of the leung ting wing tsun kung fu system you will also learn blitz defence. Blitz defence is a good pratical self defence specialy designed for bar fights and that kind of stuff. It not only teaches you to defend yourself but also teaches you the legal aspects of a fight and how to deal with a pre-fight affects off adrenaline and that kind of stuff. I don't know to much about krav maga but what i learned in the past with ninjutsu and jui jitsu is that it is very hard to use technieks affectivly in a real fight. This is where wing tsun stands out, because you don't react to sight but to feeling your technieks will come to you without thinking. The point of wing tsun is when somebody trows a attack at you you trow your attack if it incounters nothing good you hit him if it incounters his arm or block your arm will automaticaly bend into a new attack/defence or your second attack will folow see chain-punch.

Hope this helped.

Krav Maga has most of its self defence drills with the "victim's" eyes closed, then he or she is attacked from any side, not neccesserily from the front. We will often do drills where we turn out all the lights, turn on a strobe light and blast music to simulate a nightclub where hearing and visibility is limited, so I can say we kind of go "by feel" as well.

From what most people seem to know about Krav Maga is what they have seen in videos. I think trying to get a clear picture of ANY fighting skill by watching a video or reading a book is difficult at best. Before I began KM training, yes I was shown a video but then had to watch a class, then the next day took a 2 hour class one on one with the instructor before deciding to sign up.

As far as the techniques they use on edged weaopons/firearms, I think most would agree that alot of techniques used by various MA can be considered dangerous. When confronted with deadly force, the situation is grave. I would say that watching videos doesnt always give a clear enough picture of the technique that is being used, it is better to have your potential instructor show you first hand what technique is used.

If you ont agree with their system of disarming you could always not use it and use another. I have found that over the years alot of different MA schools teach different tactics some I use and others I drop because I dont agree with it.

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

Krav Maga has most of its self defence drills with the "victim's" eyes closed, then he or she is attacked from any side, not neccesserily from the front. We will often do drills where we turn out all the lights, turn on a strobe light and blast music to simulate a nightclub where hearing and visibility is limited, so I can say we kind of go "by feel" as well.

We do similar things. Definately one of KM's strengths, though. I understand that many KM schools also use a lot of different things to induce stress in the fighters before sparing and drils, which isa good thing.

trying to get a clear picture of ANY fighting skill by watching a video or reading a book is difficult at best.

Agreed. And seeing a little in person is not definitive of the entire system either. That is why I allways qualify my statements about KM.

As far as the techniques they use on edged weaopons/firearms, I think most would agree that alot of techniques used by various MA can be considered dangerous. ...If you ont agree with their system of disarming you could always not use it and use another. I have found that over the years alot of different MA schools teach different tactics some I use and others I drop because I dont agree with it.

Again, you are correct. The only thing I'd say here is that just because others teach dangerouse disarm techniques (and they do!) does not excuse KM for doing so. You are drilling muscle memory under stress in your classes, and if those techniques are problematic you could be drilling to defeat yourself in a real life situation. But if you can mix good technniques from elsewhere in your system, and deemphasize problem areas,I agree that is a goodthing. A lot of my weapons training is from differnt sources, though I allways bring it back to Kenpo basics.

Freedom isn't free!

KM

Quick to learn and employ. Not bad mouthing WC at all. Its a good system.

KM is very effective and has very good roots thats why it has gotten a lot of attention and a sort of (sometimes false) aura of superiority.

I'm a very big fan of krav maga. I do believe in the techniques and I believe in the drills.

I think what you should do is check out the classes.

There is a lot more to it than just the style.

You can have great and not so great instructors in both arts.

It will come down to what your instructor knows and his abillity to teach it to you.

You will probably not the only one in the gym/kwoon .

you can learn a great deal from your fellow students.

you will train with them so their knowledge and attitude etc is also important to you. take that in account.

To get a good self defense training I prefer to have people around me who get to deal with it in reality.

cops, security people, cassiere in a shop that gets robbed every weekend, whatever.

You can go to them with your questions etc.

It's good to learn from reality rather than principals in a textbook.

I'm an event security guard myself and find myself in critical situations quite some times. If a martial arts instructor without any streetfighting experience talks to me about how it all goes down in real life it often sounds like a lot of bullshit to me.

It's too bad because the art could be good but your instructor would still have you do all kinds of suicidal stuff in real life.

You can look for these things both in WC as in KM as in other arts.

I believe the aim of the instruction should be self defense always.

not competition, not style etc. just how to save your *.

You get the best impression by just trying.

so vis pacem para bellum

• 2 weeks later...

I took my first KM class last night and I was worn out! I work out four days a week but it still kicked my butt. I also felt like I learned a few things I could actually use in a self defense situation...if I don’t panic :o ...which I would at this point. Anyway, thanks for the advice and I’ll keep you posted.

Edited by Lenny