• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Goju Ryu -- getting graded for White belt Saturday

nfl2k2

The time has come. After almost 6 months of training our sensei has told us that we will be graded for our white belt this Saturday. I have the first two katas down. In fact, I have most of the strikes, blocks, and kicks down pretty well too. My only problem is remembering the Japanese terms for each technique. Those of you that have done this before, I have a few questions for you:

1. Is there a standard way of grading, or does it depend on the sensei?

2. What history should I know, if any?

3. I have no documentation of techniques or their definitions -- what is the best way to remember them?

4. offer any advice

Thanks!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Congrats on your upcoming grading.

Question #1:

Depends on your Sensei. Chances are if he's going to test you on it, you've already done it hundreds of times. I wouldn't be wooried about too many surprises.

Question #2:

Here again it depends on your Sensei. Has he gone over the history in class? Keep track of what you talk about and do in class. A journal is a great way to make quick notes after class to remind you of what you have gone over. Once again, don't expect any surprises. Sensei wants you and all the others testing to do well and is not there to try and stump you up on something.

Question #3:

Ask your Sensei if the dojo has a syllabus which can have the standards to promote and the jargon that is used in class. Do you mean the Japanese terms or English? The best way to remember them is to do them over and over and then do them some more. :)

Question #4:

What I said above and to just say to keep training hard and to never tell your Sensei that you "can't" do something. Our Hanshi tells us it's OK to refuse to do something but don't tell him you can't do it. :)

My two cents!

Good Luck!

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

You grade to get a white belt?

Yes, the first two katas in Goju Ryu we get graded on to get just a white belt. Our instructor is old school, very strict, and is very traditional in his teaching. A yellow belt isn't reached until over a year of training so I probably won't get a blackbelt during my time here at this university (3 and a half years left).

well to 1 there are standards in Goju-ryu but testing can vary tremendously depending on your instructor.

2 the history is pretty easy to find on the internet but start with Miyagi and see what you get. You can also find info on one of Miyagi's teacher Higioana (might be spelled wrong) then Miyagi trained several styles of kung fu in China came back to okinawa took it to Japan and so on.

Thats very shortned but the jist is there, you should also know about Gogen Yamaguchi.

3 time, after time you will say them in your sleep, and you can probably find that in the internet, see if you can find info on the Goju-kai thats the governing body of Goju ryu.

4 Do what youve trained and remain calm.

Good luck

:karate: :karate: :karate: :karate:

Draw close to god, and god will draw close to you. James 4:8

"you grade to be a white belt?"

I must admit i dont understand either...im doing goju and we are pretty traditionnal too, so we have only white, green and brown belts under black belt level with up to 3 stripes (for each kyu) for each color. i thought that was the tradition. im not questionning your school or your sensei, its just that i never heard of that before.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence thus, is not an act, but a habit. --- Aristotle

yeah me either Lion but different strokes for different folks. The color of the belt is not important its what you train. I also come from a traditional school and we do not test for white belt, you will however have your white belt for a while.

Draw close to god, and god will draw close to you. James 4:8

I don't like the idea of white belt gradings. But to each their own. I think white belt should represent a complete beginner and not a veteran, if you get me? But I suppose if it works for some it should be kept that way...

In our lessons the red belt (9th Kyu) is for assuring that you can just do the basic stuff, even if you do baddly in the grading, if you can do it in class, you wil be passed, and it adds confidence for younger students.

Practice more if you wanna pass that grading!

Brown (2th kyu) Trodai Karate, training for Black. Ready to become a Capoeirista once more.