• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

foam vs cloth shin instep

ydwnd10

i have to wear teh shin guard under my pants.. it looks like foam would fall off pretty fast. da cloth ones look like they would stay on better am i rite

boards dont hit back .........but they sure are fun to break

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is there a way for you to try both? That way you can at least see what one fits more comfortably. I personally like the cloth ones better myself because it is thinner and I do not like to wear bulky shinpads. Some people might like the foam ones because it is a little bit thicker and perhaps better protection. From the people that I have seen using the foam ones, they do not seem to complain about the shin pad slipping or falling off. I think the important thing is that it fits properlly. Then it is only a matter of preference.

Why wear either? You're not going to have them on under your jeans on the street are you? Get used to the pain...it's our friend! :D

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

If you have to wear them in your club, then I'd suggest that you go for the cloth type.

See if someone at your club will lend you a pair of each type for you to try, that way you'll get an idea of which you prefer.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• 2 weeks later...

We only use shin insteps for sparring purposes and sometimes we dont even wear them then. I like the prostyle insteps from fairtex, they are very heavyduty and offers great protection, but if your going to be wearing them all the time they would not allow you to condition your shins at all because the offer to much protection. My advice is to get a pair that you like and only wear them during certian times in your training. Of course this will depend on your dojo etc.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

The Cloth ones last longer and are less bulky. The foam ones have more padding but are bulky. I use the foam dip ones and have no problems with the shin guards. They do slip sometimes,I've noticed when fighting in some tourneys you can sometimes not even connect hard with a kick and it is scored with the foam foot pads. It all depends on what you like. I'd love a nice pair of cloth pads I can wash.

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder