• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

at my school, most of the people who like to fight won't ever strike the groin area. since they probably don't know how to defend against it, they like to shrug it off and call it a cheap shot. that it's not a fair fight. most martial artists i've come across however completely regard it as paranoia on their part. does anyone else here know people like this?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

they like to shrug it off and call it a cheap shot. that it's not a fair fight.

I know a few people who think like this, until i kick them in the nutz. But seriously, everything is fair in a real fight.

I remember my dad said to me once "Son i wouldnt mind getting you to do boxing for a while so you can learn to use your hands, people dont appreciate getting kicked in the groin."

So he is one who thinks like that, even though he used to do karate. But i really dont think the person is going to appreciate getting hit, nomatter what the target.

at my school, most of the people who like to fight won't ever strike the groin area. since they probably don't know how to defend against it, they like to shrug it off and call it a cheap shot.

:-? Wait a minute. You're talking about American Kenpo? And they don't know how to defend against a groin shot? Something isn't right there... :dodgy:

And, there's no such thing as a cheap shot! I don't know who said it first, but there's a saying that "If you find yourself in a fair fight, you just didn't prepare well enough!" One of the tenets we (AK) live by! :karate:

I suggest you kick them in the groin, then work on your own defenses 'cause they'll probably change their minds pretty quick! :brow:

Freedom isn't free!

Groin shots are completely allowed and happen very frequently at my dojo. We have several techniques designed to target or protect the groin. I'm still a white belt, and I've taken at least 6 shots to the groin, and defended a lot more. Thank you, cup!

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

There is a technique (if you want to call this one a technique) in Ninjitsu called Monkey Grabs a Peach, I don't know if others use it. Its really kind of ridicolous but just thought I'd throw it out there. Never thought it was very practical myself, I always looked at it as a way to take a nice knee to the face.

There is a technique (if you want to call this one a technique) in Ninjitsu called Monkey Grabs a Peach, I don't know if others use it. Its really kind of ridicolous but just thought I'd throw it out there. Never thought it was very practical myself, I always looked at it as a way to take a nice knee to the face.

There is a Kenpo technique called "Squeezing the Peach" as well for blue belt. A description can be read here [technique # 5]. It is for a rear-bearhug with your arms pinned, and in this instance, it doesn't really put you in any danger of getting a knee in the face :)

As for groin shots, most of our techniques involve a groin shot of some sort. The very first technique we learn [Delayed Sword] has a front kick to the groin, so as far as I'm concerned, they are perfectly valid.

And anecdotally:

Some tournaments don't allow them I think though. Our school attended a tournament this summer where they were supposed to be allowed, but the ref's weren't calling points for them. Our guys kept landing good groin shots that weren't being called. My instructor spoke to the ref's afterwards asking them why they weren't being called when the rules specifically stated that they were valid shots. The ref's just said it wasn't fair so they didn't call them. Needless to say our school was a little jaded about that Tourney. Hopefully the one coming up in January 15th [at UT Arlington] will turn out better.

DT

- "Failure is the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently." Benjamin Franklin

-"If you always do what you've always done you'll always be what you've always been." Dale Carnegie

My instructor spoke to the ref's afterwards asking them why they weren't being called when the rules specifically stated that they were valid shots. The ref's just said it wasn't fair so they didn't call them.

I thought it was the referee's job to judge based on the rules, not ignore the ones he personally doesn't like or do not conform to his system. Silly me.

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

I thought it was the referee's job to judge based on the rules, not ignore the ones he personally doesn't like or do not conform to his system. Silly me.

Yeah me too. :) It wasn't worth getting riled up about. We knew our guys were kicking their butts. We still ended up with 10 trophy's for 11 people who attended. I wish I had been there. :(

DT

- "Failure is the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently." Benjamin Franklin

-"If you always do what you've always done you'll always be what you've always been." Dale Carnegie

Groin Shots :-?

Yeah, gotta problem with that? :wink:

That's what cups are for, no?