• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Testing comming up soon...

mattys

I realize there have been enough of these threads, but yeah, I'm a bit nervous. My 3rd Kyu (brown) testing is in the first week of January, which is just around the corner. I've been studying for a little under two years, and I consider myself a fast learner. My dojo sets the bar pretty high for all students, but especially the brownbelt-candidates. I was in the group of my sensei's very first students, and I was there close to when the dojo started, that being said, I am one of the high belts in my class. I go to my friend's dojo from time to time, especially recently, to prepare for my brownbelt test. Just on their friday sparring nights, because I used to think I was lacking there. What was pitiful was that I had a few blackbelts to the mat when I barely broke a sweat.

The thing is, the step from green to brown is extremly intimidating. I've seen many other dojo, and by their standard I would be ready, even they've told me so. I don't really think that I'm ready for this huge step. There's so little that I know about the art, so little waza I have become proficient at. I study traditional Okinawan Kenpo Kobudo under Shihan Mark Jovich.

So, does anyone have any consoling words for this brownbelt-to-be?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In may travels around the world and visiting other dojo's, I've seen a HUGE difference in skills at the same belt levels. Generally speaking, I'd put my own students against any others most of the time in a equal rank street fight.

Please understand, I'm not chest beating here, but rather I have very high standards for my people, and they know it. They earn each and every rank that they get from me. That's probably why, in the 26 years I've been teaching, I've only promoted 4 people to black belt. They don't get it until I know that they know it....and know it well.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I realize that I am not quite at the beginner level, and that I am in fact far above my own level at other dojo, but my sensei is extremly traditional, and he holds extremly high standards, I'm just afraid that I won't meet them.

Shorinryu Sensei: thanks. In my worry I forgot that there really is no reason why he would be testing me if he didn't intend to promote me or think I was ready.

Well, for instructors that are extremely "traditional" (whatever that means), they usually don't ask you to test unless you are ready. The test isn't taking place during the assigned "testing time", it takes place every day in your training. They know if you look like crap or if you look excellent. Trust in your teacher and your training. And I do mean this in the nicest way possible, but buck up and get yourself a little more confidence.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Well, for instructors that are extremely "traditional" (whatever that means), they usually don't ask you to test unless you are ready. The test isn't taking place during the assigned "testing time", it takes place every day in your training. They know if you look like crap or if you look excellent. Trust in your teacher and your training. And I do mean this in the nicest way possible, but buck up and get yourself a little more confidence.

Actually, I used to tell my people that they were testing...not that they could test, but have changed that method in the last year. What I do now is when I determine that they are where I think I want them, to be...I make a point of looking at them more closely than usual and essentially, test them, during normal practice. If I feel they are where they should be for the next belt, I "surprise" them with a certificate at the next class..."Congrats..you're promoted!"

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Actually, I used to tell my people that they were testing...not that they could test, but have changed that method in the last year. What I do now is when I determine that they are where I think I want them, to be...I make a point of looking at them more closely than usual and essentially, test them, during normal practice. If I feel they are where they should be for the next belt, I "surprise" them with a certificate at the next class..."Congrats..you're promoted!"

Shorinryu Sensei:

thats an awesome idea and i was thinking about making a thread on it. my sensei does the same for higher belts and frankly i think it is one of the best methods of promoting sempais since you have to deliver your best at every practice, not only for tests.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence thus, is not an act, but a habit. --- Aristotle

My sesai does the same thing, but assigns a testing night for the junior student. The seniors are always seing graded and we all know it. Only Black Belts have turely formalized, individual gradings. This is slightly off topic but.... I recently got my black stripe and will be testing for my Black Belt in June....only 6 months away. The others who will test with me will have had their belts for at least a year if not longer. I know I have a good grasp on the material, but any ideas on if this is advantagious to the others who have had their belts longer then I have?

"No matter how you may excel in the art of

Karate, and in your scholastic endeavors, nothing is more important than your behavior and your humanity as observed in daily life."

~ Master Gichin Funakoshi

I don't see how it is advantageous for them because it isn't a competition between you and them, it's just a test of your individual ability. And even then, it often isn't really a test of your abilities because as mentioned before, people usually aren't asked to test unless they are ready. Unless there is a screw up (or a preponderance of screw ups) of monumental proportions, then they usually pass regardless of how they actually do during the test.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/